Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boiling Flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dirk, Dec 4, 2003.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I heard today that if you boil your flats in vinegar it makes them sound like new. They also said you couldn't leave them in longer than 3 minutes. I heard this from a music store employee, not that I don't trust music store employees... wait, I don't trust music store employees. So what's the story with boiling flats in vinegar? Advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks
    Dirk

2. I wouldn't boil my strings in anything but, that's just me.

Wiping strings down after use and, an occasional alcohol wipe, will keep your strings just as clean, IMHO.

I prefer to change my strings when they become dull sounding.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. never ever ever boil vinegar. unless you happen to like the nastiest smell in the world.

4. Aren't flats supposed to be inherently dull-sounding? :confused:

5. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Yes, it works. Not just for flats, but all metal bass strings. The results may be less dramatic for flats because there's less nooks for dirt and oil to settle since the strings are smooth.

Add some white vinager to the water. You do this because it raises the boiling point of water and allows you to get the water hotter. Just boil them briefly afterwards in water to remove the vinger completely. They won't smell when you're done. It may bleach out the color of your silk wraps.

The boiling removes all the dirt, oil and grime and will make your strings sound brighter if they'be become dingy with use. I'd let them boil for 10-30 minutes.

6. I boiled mine in Dishwasher last thursday detergent for 5 minutes, then distilled water for 5 minutes and they sounded brand new - they still do.

Problem is I don't like brand new sounding strings.

:bawl: