1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boiling Lock Tuner strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Vomicamonster, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Vomicamonster

Vomicamonster

Feb 6, 2017
    austin,tx
    Hey all! Not much literature on this online.

Does anyone have any experience boiling strings that run through Kahler locking tuners?
    Cautious to try because the strings seem to get get weaker if I'm intonating or readjusting them. Fearing I'll get a popped string when I take them out then put them back on after boiling.

Short on cash and I'm currently stuck between a mud bass or a no stringed bass for a rehearsal coming up. I could use another bass but this one sounds perfect for the music the guys are writing.

Thoughts?

2. You don't even have 15-20 bucks?

Boiling strings doesn't seem practical, especially if you're running them through a tremolo!

I mean heck, could you just bring your backup just in case of a mishap? It's good to be prepared.

My only other idea is to yank the strings off your backup and put them on your main bass

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  3. Vomicamonster

Vomicamonster

Feb 6, 2017
    austin,tx
    No trem. Mid 90s Carvin LB70 and at the time they used Kahlers. This week is strings or gas, so I'm trying to cut corners where I can. Will probably end up taking my SB but like I said the LB sounds perfect for the project.

4. Vomicamonster

Vomicamonster

Feb 6, 2017
    austin,tx
    Update for those curious on the subject:

Strings run through locking tuners are wholly single use. Boiled anyway just to see what happens. The cores can't handle retensioning very well. The A string handled it like a champ. E and G snapped and D all but popped off. Assumed as much but hey, science is science. I have a 30" frankenbass I'll try to salvage the strings for. Otherwise it's straight to the recycling bin.

mikewalker and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  5. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    This is very insulting. Who are you to question whether one has money for something or their reasons for not wanting to spend money on something. Boiling strings is extremely practical sometimes. Check out this guy:

And to all the anti boiling crowd, some of us REALLY don't like using flammable/hazardous chemicals and boiling works for us.

Vomicamonster and bolophonic like this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Boiling them is a terrible idea. I prefer them grilled.

mikewalker and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  7. Vomicamonster

Vomicamonster

Feb 6, 2017
    austin,tx
    Insulting, meh. Strings get pricey, especially if you're gigging/changing frequently.

The truth is boiling WORKS. It's cheap, efficient, and yields good results. No chemicals. And I can often get 2 or three boils out of a set before I have to change. Sounds just like new too.

So for us "starving artists" who aren't wealthy or fortunate enough to have an endorsement it is very practical. Money is money and I've got student loans.

8. Vomicamonster

Vomicamonster

Feb 6, 2017
    austin,tx
    That char broiled taste though

9. Not at all. A spare pack of strings (even if it's not your favorite brand) costs 15-20 bucks. We don't need a spare pack as badly as guitarists do, but it's handy just to have one around. If you're a gigging bassist, you should have at least one spare pack, even if it's a set of strings ripped off another bass or something.