Boiling Of Strings Disaster!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dreamwave, Oct 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I had a used set of Zon Ultrasonics laying around. They were used on an extensive recording project by one of my clients. I had heard that if you boil strings, they will regain much of their "viginity?":) Well I'm really not happy with them at all now. Lifeless, twangy things they are now. Does this boiling just ruin an otherwise good(and expensive) set of strings?

Also. The bass we use at the studio is a Zon Legacy Elite V. Could you guys tell me what kind of strings would be best for the two extremes(i.e. a set good for a mellow jazz bass sound and a set for that hi-fi type sound)? I really liked the sound of those nylon coated strings on a P Bass for jazz. Would that work on the Legacy as well?

2. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Dreamwave....boiling is the last resort before you toss them.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    in ten yrs i've broken one string and it was after the only time I ever boiled em.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah so many threads on boiling strings.. don't do it.. it makes them brittle.. soak them in alchohal..
  5. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Usually you can boil strings once and they'll regain their brightness, but that's about it before tonal and harmonic qualities are lost.
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    there are many threads about string boiling, one mega one in the FAQ, so there is NO need for this thread.

Have a nice day :D

mama cass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.