Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boiling old strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by clammit l82, Jul 19, 2001.

1. i went to a music store today to get some new strings and get them changed. when the guy was done he gave me back my old strings and told me that if u boil them u can use them again. does this work and if so how would i go about doing it

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Forget that. Do a search on "String Boilers Anonymous". There's a better way.

3. Over time the frets put dents in the strings and the strings actually wear away at the fret contact points. Dirt is only one factor for dead strings.

4. thanx guys. sorry to ask something thats already been posted. i know how annoying it gets

5. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    No biggie...I do it myself all the time. There's so much info on TB now that it's hard to know what's already been talked about.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i also heard that they sound good for about a day, but after that they are a lot worse then they were, so it is not worth the hassle.

7. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Again, seek out the thread I mentioned earlier. It doesn't deal with boiling strings, it deals with soaking them in denatured alcohol. I have personally used this for many years (not just something I "heard") and it the benefits definitely make it worth the "hassle"...especially if you don't have the bucks to buy new strings often.

8. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    MC, a couple quick questions concerning your post in the SBA thread....

1.) How long is a couple hours?
    2.) Does this meathod work for a string in any degrading state, or just as it's going dead?
    3.) Is it's value in brightening strings diminished if the user is known to occasionally use a heavy touch and slap like hell?

Thanks for the time and the tip thread for anyone. I was just getting tired of my Elixers too. You just stopepd me from giving myself over to flats full time. Thanks! :D

9. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    "A couple of hours" could vary from literally, a couple, to overnight, depending on how much crud was built up. That'd be a trial-n-error thing.

I can illustrate like this: I bought a Steinberger XL-2 in 1986, and 12 packs of strings because we played many rural areas where the double-ball strings wouldn't be available. I slapped, tapped and did most anything you could do on a normal gig. Using the cleaning method I described, I used that same 12 sets for almost 10 years, and at least 6 or 8 full sets went with the bass when I sold it! I like my tone bright, too, lest you wonder if my standards might be a little lower than most.

If you can avoid breakage, actual wear of the metal wrappings will be your limiting factor, not dirt.

10. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Thanks! Two words...

YOU RULE!!! :D

11. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    My kid says I drool!

12. Yes it works, but only in an emergency. Your freshly boiled strings will sound new for only one gig. Trust me.