Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boiling Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jazzin', Aug 5, 2004.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i just bought a new set of string cuz my other strings are starting to die. i'm planning on boiling them so i can rotate them every once in a while. for the people who have experienced boiling knowledge on boiling strings. can you give me advice and instructions for boiling them please? (they are nickle roundwounds), but they have wrapped string around the ends of them.
    :help: :help: :help:

2. Jazzin'

!@^%E@^%#!!!! i accidentaly cut my Gstring too short so now its garbage and i have to use my old Gstring! should have been thinking more clearly when changing my strings. But i can still boil this one Gstring so it sounds like the others. please give me instructions on boiling one Gstring.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What you should do is buy some denatured alcohol. Soak in that overnight. It works better than boiling. Just remember that the alcohol is very flammable, so use a sealable container in a safe place.

Also, doing a search is a good idea. This one has been covered many times. Good luck!

4. Jazzin'

should i coil them or keep them in a tube? and does vinagar work too?

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Vinegar is not as effective. You can coil them, and it should work fine.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    *snicker*.. I try not to cut my G strings.

7. Jazzin'

well i gotta cut em or theyre too big ;) cuz they only come in one size. sometimes they break.
    well there goes 6$ CAD down the drain :crying:

8. I'd try boiling them before using the alcohol stuff. Just coil the strings in a ceramic bowl (and plan never to eat out of the bowl again) and then fill it with boiling water. Let it sit for maybe 5-10 minutes. After the first few minutes you will be able to see all the gunk rise to the top, looking like pepper.

Just remember that when you put on/take off strings it weakens them also.

9. Jazzin'

boil or alcohol?

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    no boiling

11. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I find that rubbing alcohol works alot better than boiling.I coil them and put two at time in an empty coffee can for about ten minutes.I only do this once to a new set of strings after about a month and I can usually make them last for another month.BTW I also wipe my strings down with a soft cloth after every song while playing.I think this might also help them last longer :D

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    never use water or rubbing alcohol, use denatured alcohol - it's simply the best.

i coil mine in a plastic tupperware container for a few days, and then let them dry for about half an hour.

works way better than boiling (wouldn't want to use the pan again for food).

:)

13. Jazzin'

do i put all 4 strings in the same container at the same time?

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I put all 6 in mine, heck I even put two sets in at a time!

I would really give this method a shot - just remember - this stuff is highly flammable!

Good Luck!

:)

15. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I've never had any trouble with rubbing alcohol but i'll give the denatured alcohol a try.

16. Jazzin'

i have black string wrapped around the ends of the strings, will it be affected by the alcohol?

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I learned about boiling strings from other bass players I knew. They had conflicting advice about how to actually boil strings, but they all seemed to agree that strings are best boiled only once and subsequent boiling does not produce good results as the tone is impacted.

Some swear that boiling weakens strings, making them prone to breakage. Oddly enough, I did experience that problem with strings I boiled.

The bass player who seemed to have the most experience with this told me to always boil in a glass, not metal pan. He never did say I shouldn't ever use the pan again for cooking food. Frankly I don't understand why, once the pan is thoroughly cleaned, that it cannot be used for cooking again.

I used the boiled strings on basses for practice and not for gigs or recording. I didn't want to take a chance on either breakage or poor tone at a gig.

18. Jazzin'

where can i get denatured alcohol? at a local hardware store?

19. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Slightly off topic, but are you saying you cut the G string for a Jazz bass? What sort of strings are you using? I own a few Jazz type basses (and nearly all my basses a Fender-ish), and I only ever cut the E string. Are you sure you can't get all the G string onto the winder?

20. Jazzin'

i accidentally cut the end of the G string too short, so it cannot reach the winder. so now i must get a new Gstring. :crying: