Boiling Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mrx41862, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Hi, Have any of you heard of this before? I was speaking to a Luthier at a local guitar show a few months back, he said he takes his bass strings off after sufficient wear, recoils them, and boils them, then air drys them for about 24 hours. Says you can do this 3-4 times before they need to then be replaced. I mean if it works it'll save me 80-120 bucks each time I need strings. Just want to know if any one out there has trid this.:cool:
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    This topic has been beaten to death in "Strings"

Please do a search.
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah this goes in strings...

however.. since when do strings cost near $80-120 for an electric bass? i've never heard of such a thing...
  4. If you change them 3-4 times at $20-$30 a set you get $80-$120.
  5. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I recoil in shock at the thought of recoiling strings - they'd end up like barbed wire in my hands! Boil 'em once and replace 'em.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Use alcohol instead of boiling water.
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Bingo, boiling is bad. DON'T BOIL YOUR STRINGS! Any "Sound" that might have come back to them will die in less than a day!
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And not just rubbing alcohol. Denatured alcohol. But be careful. It ignites very easily. Don't smoke while you're doing this!
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    as a strings mod, i sure wish i could just lock this from here instead of having to wait for it to get moved to lock it ;)

it has been beaten way past death, please go to the strings forum and do a search.