Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boiling Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bardolph, Aug 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I read somewhere that taking your strings off from time to time and boiling them in water helps restore their good sound..??? Anybody know anything about this? By the way, I apologize if a thread like this is already floating around somewhere

2. Don't apologize. Just do a search on boiling strings.

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    :D

Well as I'm here, the hot weather (ie my sweat) killed a fairly new set of EB's on my 5er so...

I got a saucepan and some Fairy Liquid (washing up liquid) and boiled the strings whilst I cleaned the fingerboard. Restored the zingyness but it does not last. you end up boiling them often.

4. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Try doing a search. If you boil your strings they will sound like new again, for a little while. THe best way is to get brand new strings, but if you really can't afford to buy new strings, thne go dip them over night in some kind of cleaner that won't leave any residue on the trings and then let them dry.

5. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
  6. Don't boil your strings!!!!

Use denatured alcohol, you can get it for like 7 bucks in the paint section at your hardawre store. Boiling strings will weaken them and the zing doesn't last, using the denatured alcohol doesn't weaken and they sound brand new for as long as it takes you to build gunk back up. Lemme find a thread about it...http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24245&highlight=denatured+alcohol

Try this one, follow the instructions you'll find somewhere in the thread.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    everything you need to know about boiling strings is in that thread.

so we don't really need this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.