Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boiling the strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Yoda Masta, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Yoda Masta

Yoda Masta

Feb 14, 2005
    i heard that it can help the strings so they sound more clear and stuff and it gets the oils from the fingers off and stuff.. does it make that much of a difference in the sound?

2. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, for a few more hours of playing time, but that's about it. Depending on how valuable your time is, it may not even be worth it.

Just my opinion - your mileage may vary.

3. I was told to boil them and then freeze them?

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    As Ray-man said, it will do the trick - for a very brief time only. Then the strings will die again. And when they do, they're really dead. Something about the boiling process that cleans out the oils and dirt also screws up the structure of the string.

If you should find yourself in a pinch, with a gig coming up tonight, without any new strings and without any way to get your hands on a new set - then this could be useful. Otherwise, you're much better off simply shelling out for new strings...

MM

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Don't boil them, soak 'em...in denatured alcohol...cleaner longer and less chance of corrosion from H2O.

Do a search here in strings on denatured alcohol any you'll get a pile of threads about it.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1

7. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    When strings die it is because of two things, they have become dirty, which is fixable, and they have lost their temper, which is not. As you use your strings they stretch, and eventually they stretch so much that they can stretch no further, they begin to weaken, and that is why even bass strings will eventually break if left on for a very long time.

Changing tunings often can also tire your strings slightly faster.

The few times I've had success cleaning strings I used alchohol, but instead of soaking I placed them in an ultrasonic cleaner such as a jewelry store would use to clean a ring. Faster, and more thorough, but not everybody has access; we happen to have one at work.

Solvents are definitely the way to go, playing with heat and cold will change the temper of your strings, probably not a whole lot, but it is hard to say whether that whole lot is in the direction of good or bad.

8. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I noticed my strings were FILTHY last night... I only changed them about 3 weeks ago. Ugh... mainly around the 3rd and 5th fret on all strings.

cba to boil them tbh... I'd rather just buy some new ones!

I don't think they're dead yet... but I'm still not sure how often I should replace them?

9. Why is that?

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    +2

11. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Because the stuff that is expelled from your strings is pretty nasty... I also would use a pan that I didn't care for.

12. Yes, but why can't it just been cleaned like you normally do? Actually I don't boil strings, I just got curious to know what's so bad in a set of strings that it couldn't be washed away. When I boiled, though, the water became pretty nasty, but the pot just got cleaned and was fine.

13. Thanks!

14. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I used to boil my strings a long time ago (20 years). I can tell you that I've eaten many a pot of gourmet macaroni and cheese from the same pot I used to boil my strings, and I haven't keeled over yet.

I'll probably get early onset Alzheimer's, but so far, so good. :D

15. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

Maybe I shouldnt have had that bag of ramen afterwards....

16. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater....

17. Has anyone ever tried jewelry cleaner?????

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    once again, READ: denatured alcohol. boiling is a waste..

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's easy to tell when to replace them: when one breaks. Aside from that, just play and enjoy.

Yes, this can be done with rounds just as it can with flats. :p

20. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    OMG, you guys are trying to make my head explode with all these 'Boiling String' threads. UTMFSB!

Hehe, I keed! I love spreading the word about denatured alcohol though.