Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by joshsmog, Aug 25, 2003.

1. some crazy bastards in another forum said boiling your old dead strings brings them back to life :oops: of course i was skeptical but i own a 5 string and am only 14 so cash is a big deal and i won a pack of dean markleys for a 4 string on ebay for a few dollars, my 5th string was almost a year old now and sounded like poop. i remembered what the guy said so i tried it out one days cause i was bored and lo and behold it worked! it sounds like tin cans again!! i didnt believe it then i didnt care because i dont use my b string anyway :meh:

heres what i did, i boiled it for 10 minutes then threw it into a sink of cold water dried it and put it on my bass and it sounded like new!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Boiling strings destroys them in the long run.
    Just put them in alcohol (don't heat!!!), same or better result without the thermal strain and oxidation.

This also has been discussed numerous times before.
  3. enough alocohal to soak it in would cost me about the same price as new strings

will the string last a few more months?
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

(Denatured?) alcohol (Brennspiritus in German) costs 1.50 Euro per liter or something like that - you don't use JD for that. :p

I can use my strings up to 9 months, but I also use a light touch and my sweat isn't too aggressive.
  5. no i meant will my b string last a couple months after being boiled?
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Probably not. When you boil strings, they will sound a little brighter at first, but within a day or two the string will go dead again, and be deader than it was before you boiled it. And water is corrosive to metal. You have weakened the string, and it will be more prone to breaking.
  7. just use alcohol...don't go crazy with it, if you use it should last you awhile as well as not corrode your strings....I still have the first bottle of rubbing alcohol I've used and it's about half empty now.
  8. ok ok thanks ill try that next time
  9. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    When you do put your strings back on, try to rotate them so the "worn" side is facing away from fretboard. You should be able to tell which side is worn by the grooves in the strings caused by the frets.

This tends to help them last a little longer.

If you do decide to boil strings, it will only help for maybe two or three times for steel strings and only once for Nickel - then the strings will be brittle. You could also try to freeze them immediately after boiling. This helps the strings "coil back" after they slightly uncoil when boiling.
    I thaw mine in alcohol after freezing.

Alcohol alone helps the tone somewhat. Alcohol works better on Nickel strings than Steel as well.
    It is a better long-term solution than boiling as the boling process damages the strings. Boiling will make the strings brighter for a few hours but they die quick.
  10. You can use the same alcohol as many times as you wish to soak your strings..