Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bois de Rose

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Jan 30, 2006.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Anyone have experience with this wood? I really like the color of it like it is in this pic. I think it would look killer as a fingerboard if you can get it to stay that color. Does it turn crap brown after a while? Any comments/ideas/suggestions?

2. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    well it looks like padauk to me ... but a lil pinkish.

if its anything like padauk, it will darken every hour.

the french mainly use it in furnitures. i dont believe its been used on guitars before. but furniture and guitars aint so different from each other. where did you get it from? what is its scientific name?

3. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    a pool cue turning blank in the shop for a year now and its still the same color.
    Mine is a very very dark purple though.
    I know the picture is from the gilmer site and I think they have fingerboards pre cut, or they did at one time.

4. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Yeah, I don't have any. I just like the color, but was wondering if it fades quickly to brown like purpleheart without some kind of UV inhibitor or whatever.

5. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    from what I have experienced, it holds its color pretty well.
    Todd

6. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Bois de Rose can become very dark in time. Depending on the finish and exposure, this wood can become nearly black.....with a hint of very deep purple. It does take a beautiful polish.