Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bolin Basses - Anyone play one yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jvtwin, Mar 4, 2002.

1. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Just wanted feed back from anyone who may have played or owns a Bolin bass either the single pickup or pickup/piezo combo. Had the chance to play one at NAMM and really liked it. Any thoughts?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    No, but there's one on ebay right now. Grab it while U can.

3. Untill this year I lived in Boise Idaho, where John Bolin lives. I went to school with his son too. I've had the chance to play a couple, only the single pickup ones. I wasn't that impressed. I think he's a better guitar builder than he is a bass builder.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've played one twice, and will probably play one again shortly. I checked one out at a guitar show where Dan Leonard was showing some of the LAG stock. I later made a visit to the "south side" to see Dan and played one again. I'm planning on making a trip soon to try out some more equipment and might end up checking out the 4-string he has in stock, but it certainly won't be the focus of my visit. If you're interested, I could provide you with a LOT more information, from construction to playability to sound, etc.

5. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i live on the same street as john's shop. i emailed them to see if i could check it out. no one ever got back to me. i played a 5 string bass at a local music store. there are much better basses out there in that price range. i think the price reflects ned steinbergers name being associated with it. it's a rock and roll bass. not much vesitilty.(that, and the headstock looks like an samick)

6. whoa, small world. Isn't that it the north end? I can't remember. The place I played a bolin was at dorsey's on state street.

7. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    dorsey still has the same one. they want somthing crazy like $2400.00 for the 5 string. north end ,represent!!!!

8. aaahhhhh, the good old north end. Cool part of town. I used to live more on the west side. On the rim above garden city, over by curtis. Long before that I lived on the east side, where I went to garfield elementary school.

anyways.... I remember that price, it made me cringe. You could get a much better bass for that price. Not that it wasn't good, just not 2400 good.

P.S. I know an AMAZING drummer in Boise, send me a private message me if you are interested.