Bollywood movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Jun 3, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have just been exposed to Bollywood movies, and all I can say is :confused:

People jump into song and dance, and scenes change with no relation to the plot, the acting was very melodramatic, and the sequence of events were incredulous. But, as campy as it was, it was also entertaining.

I saw Mohabattein, and the other day I found myself butchering a song in Hindi while I mowed the lawn. I even found myself singing the eerie falsetto parts. Evil stuff, I tell you.

BTW, Aishawarya Rai is HOT!
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Mmmm.... Rai Rocks! :)

Bollywood rocks, in general. It's great to see there's something different from HollyWierd, that's actually making an impact on the industry.

And they seem to be able to do it for pennies on the dollar - none of those 100 million dollar budgets, right?

As far as the singing and dancing goes, that's probably just culture, right? I'd just as soon watch that, campy as it might be, as watch a guy in a ten thousand dollar costume pretend to be a space alien. :D
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bollywood is strange, yo. Hollywood puts out about 70-100 movies a year on average. I hear the average for Bollywood is closer to 1000, and almost all of them are those weepy melodramatic musicals.

That's what I've been told, anyway.
  4. I can't say I'm a big fan. I find them a bit too strange and not all that interesting.

The reason they make films that cost next to nothing is because the content is all low budget content. It costs nothing to pay a bunch of people to sing and dance in comparison to paying a team of 3d animators, stunt people, special effects artists, actors, and equipment (not to mention insurance fees) to make a special effects blockbuster. And yes, nearly all of the films that Bollywood produces are the the same basic story.

Of course, you will never see people make out or have sex in their movies, and divine intervention plays a significant role in many of them, thanks to the strict restrictions placed on all films produced in India by the Indian government. That I find interesting.
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    all i can think of is the conan o'brien bit that's occasionally played at the end of his shows, where it's satirizing bollywood movies. the look on his face is disturbing. :( :D
  6. Bollywood rocks!

I used to be in a Bollywood cover band... that was too much fun!
  7. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    The film industry is uniquely American.
  8. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I've only seen the ones that they play at Indian resturants. All the ones I've seen are musicals. I think they are pretty cool. Lots of nice looking girls.
  9. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    What's also interesting is the fact that Bollywood movies are often marketed based on the composer/musicians that write/perform the music as much as they are on the actors, and having a famous composer write Bollywood music can make or break a film.
  10. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    I'm sari-
    Those movies curry no favor with me-
  11. Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    oh oh oh then you have to see's a classic...and watch Veer and Zaara (sp?), i heard it was really good (will get around to watching it soon)..i'll tell you more titles to watch if you want..i just can't really think of them as of this second.

and about the song and dance thing...i think it makes it really interesting, and whoever said that it would make or break the movie is absolutely right...unfortunately in most of the newer bollywood movies the songs aren't as good as they used to be...same goes for the dancing..

and be careful when selecting movies, some will turn out to be the most pointless pieces of junk you have ever wasted three hours (or more!) on, and some will be amazing...and a lot are in the middle. Oh and don't be surprised when you see them completely rip off a hollywood movie with regards to scenes or even the whole plot!

(dam i sound like a bollywood freak...i'm really not, the last time i watched one was quite a while ago)
  12. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    There's a Bollywood resteraunt a few minutes away. Good mango drinks.
  13. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what, is it like "planet bollywood" or something? :confused:
  14. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's just called Bollywood. It has all this indian food, and bad indian covers of lame hit songs.
  15. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ah, i see.

it just struck me as odd that there'd be a "bollywood" restaurant. because...they're usually called indian restaurants. but it'd make sense that a particular establishment would be called such.

and as far as the original topic goes, here's an anecdote:

in chem 1, which i took last fall, this indian kid sat next to me on a consistent basis. and he'd talk to me before class every day. one time he told me how he just got back from some bollywood event in ...orlando or something. there were a whole bunch of famous actors paraded around stage and stuff. and the kid was telling me this very exasperated and flustered, like it was the coolest thing ever.

so later that day, i emailed a friend of mine, who is also indian, telling her about this. and she told me something like, "bollywood is rot. people dance and sing, and the words are all rot."

i thought that was really funny.
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's a great scene in one of the old Eposides of Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Season 2 - Reptile Boy). The very first scene shows them "gang" sitting around watching a Bollywood movie on TV:-

Xander: Is she dying?

Buffy: I think she's singing.

Xander: To a telephone in Hindi. Now that's entertainment!

Dramatic pause while the Hindi woman on TV dances around the room while singing into the

Xander: Why is she singing?

Willow: She's sad because her lover gave her twelve gold coins, but then the wizard cut open the bag of salt, and now the dancing minions have nowhere to put their big maypole........ fish...... thing.
  17. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

"i don't need your oranges, and your huge head scares me."
  18. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Bollywood rocks. I really like Lagaan. The other great bollywood film I've seen is more western-influence, think it's called Monsoon Wedding.