Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bolt-on Alembic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 8, 2005.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Just out of curiosity, has Alembic built or still builds a bolt on kind of bass?

2. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Never. Neck Through and Set neck (Glue Joint) only.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    ****! I've been had!! :D
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    yes but, kind of BASS?

5. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005

Indeed. There is no confusing the real California Special with that. ;)

6. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Just to cut thru the humour, in recognition that this is an honest question:

The "California Special" above is similar to a number of bolt-on "Alembic" basses that pop up in pawn shops , usually in southern states, and occasionally on eBay.

They are all fakes.No Alembic will ever have that black "Alembic" stencilled on the headstock.

For comparison,here's the real "California Special" ( a neck-through guitar):

"California Special"

A great source for Alembic info is here:

Alembic Forums

Frank

7. There were some early japanese "Alembics" that were bolt on. They were licensed and had real logos and electronics from Alembic but the bodies, necks and assembly was done in Japan. They had a three bolt neck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

Wow.

I really, really

like that.

Looks cool.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

These same basses and guitars also show up with the 'Warwick Buzzard' and 'Status Graphite' name on them as well.:scowl:

10. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    And don't forget the BassStar bolt ons. They were a joint effort between Modulus and Alembic. Jack Casady played one back in his SVT days(if I remember correctly!).
    Corey

11. dfung

dfung

Apr 29, 2003
    That's an interesting bolt-on. I'd be curious about what Alembic said about that. I seem to remember that the set-neck Spoiler was a Japanese-built bass but never saw this before. Those set-neck Spoilers looked a little different than what you see in catalogs, but not radically so, I think.

It's also interesting to note that that appears to be a Steinberger bridge on it, even though it has "Alembic" marked on it. There's also a headstock and something that looks like tuning pegs up there. Now, perhaps there's no tuning keys up there or it has banjo-type pegs like an original Thunderbird, but this is odd enough that I wonder if this isn't just another fake.

David Fung

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Wasnt that company called G.Gould?

[​IMG]

13. dfung

dfung

Apr 29, 2003
    G.Gould is Geoff Gould's current bass-making company. But he invented the graphite guitar neck and founded Modulus Graphite nearly 30 years ago and ran the company until the mid 1990s.

Before starting Modulus, Geoff worked at Ford Aerospace in Palo Alto building graphite structures that included satellite antennae for the first deep space probes and the first graphite body components for race cars. Ford Aerospace was one of the early leaders in graphite composite technology and the high strength and low weight of these parts made things like space probes possible.

Geoff also played bass, saw Phil Lesh battling a headstock-heavy bass at a Grateful Dead concert, and thought that a graphite bass neck might solve his problem. He contacted Alembic who was customizing instruments for the Dead at that time, and Rick Turner (president of Alembic then, and who now builds the Turner Rensaissance instruments) saw the promise and worked with Geoff to integrate into an Alembic instrument. Both Geoff and Alembic were the patentholders for the graphite monocoque neck.

Geoff started Modulus Graphite to build the necks and Alembic established a business relationship that included using Modulus graphite necks in Alembic instruments and later assisting Modulus with distribution. The first graphite-necked Alembic went to John McVie in Fleetwood Mac.

The market for super-expensive through-body graphite-necked Alembics was not enormous and Geoff productized replacement necks for Fender-style instruments to grow his market. Those are the BassStar and Blacknife necks which were labelled Modulus/Alembic products. From there, Geoff grew Modulus Graphite to start building full instruments and went to to become an early maker of extended range (5- and 6-string) basses and super-long 35" scale instruments.

After Geoff left Modulus, he started G.Gould to work on different styles of graphite reinforcement in mostly wooden necks. These days, G.Gould has started making all-graphite necks for their latest instruments.

David Fung

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
  15. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I want one. Do you have any more info?

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    wow. this seems to be the first interesting thread i have ever opened!!

17. Sorry, that's pretty much all that I could gather from the Alembic forums. If you wanna dig further I'd recommend you head over there, they're a friendly and helpful bunch. Might take some time until you get any concrete info though, the Alembic elves are always very busy.