Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bolt-on G&L necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jul 30, 2001.

1. i'm buying a used G&L L-2000 bass from a guy in San Dimas this Saturday and i just checked it out.

it looked so cool

it had a see through blonde, white finish with a maple fretboard (it even smelled like maple).

but i noticed that the bolt-on configuration only had had 3 bolts on the back of the end of the neck, different from what i saw from recent L-2000 models with 6 bolts.

is this an old model?

i asked the guy how old the instrument was and he told me "about 3 to 4 years old."

anyone wanna shed more light on the subject???

2. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
  3. Yes, those are old models. [​IMG]

4. what's the difference between the old and new models of L-2000's ?

5. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    new models better

old models still good

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    G&L just recently went to a 6 bolt neck. The original 3 bolt neck has been used since they started. I have an '84 L-2000 w/a 3 bolt neck & I never had a problen w/the neck. Buy the bass. It's a great bass. :)

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I have an early G&L L1000 (very early) with a 3 bolt, passive electronics and pick up in the P position. It's a great bass. Loud, built like a tank and sounds great.

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I believe the 6 bolt is relatively recent, past few years or so. I have never heard any complaints regarding the 3 bolt G&L's. I also have read that the G&L does not share the complications that sometimes arose with the older Fender 3 bolt configurations. I do however think that a huge part of G&L switching to the 6 bolt was to rid itself of the 3 bolt stigma.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I think it may be a little older than 3-4 years. My I have a 1997 and it is a six bolt. The dating on G&Ls is easily obtained. Just get the serial numbers and take a peak at http://www.guitarsbyleo.com You should find someone there who can easily date it for you. Other than the neck design, there isn't a great deal of difference. The first generation of active G&Ls uses a different preamp than is now used. The newer ones are a little quieter. Many newer models have a lamenated top to lighten them. The olders ones do not. But as for hardware, PUs and design, they haven't changed a lot.

10. My L-2000 is a 1996 and it's a 3-bolt. It is completely solid (as is my SB-2 3-bolt) so I don't think you need to worry about it. As stated earlier, I believe the reason they switched was because so many people were afraid of the 3-bolt system due to problems on the older Fenders. G&L 3-bolt instruments have never had any problems as far as I know.

11. you know i will!!!

i payed the guy $300 last saturday, just to get the L-2000 off ebay and have it reserved for me this saturday when i'll pay him another $300...$600 all in all for an L-2000....IN GREAT CONDITION (except for the strings)

i'm so excited!!!

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    cool man, let us know more when you get it :)

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool, Rafterman!

L2000's are great basses, just too heavy for my old tired body.

14. yeah you guys were right....

remember me and the SR-506?...lol

finally i get a bass we all can agree on!!!

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm sure that you are keeping the 506, though, right?

It's better than most low priced 6 stringers, like Dean, Ibanez SR406, Washburn, Alvarez, etc.

16. well...no im selling it to friend for $200.

i got it for $300 so i'm selling it for that low.

i need money after i get the L-2000 to get some good strings and a good cord.

any recommendations on good strings with fat bottom end...good jazz tone....and slap tone?

17. SAN DIMAS HIGHSCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    DR Lo Riders embody all three characteristics you mentioned above. I'm a stainless man, but they come in nickel as well. Only thing I would warn you about is they are *slightly* higher in tension.

19. what do you mean by "higher in tension?"

20. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Some people may notice a tighter feel with Lo Riders when compared to most rounds. With my style, this facilitates more precise fretting of notes. I like the string to string balance both in sound, and in playability.

You'll notice they have more of a tendency to stay straight and not flop around under pressure, that's all. In my opinion, it does not hamper playing, but helps it along. Of course, YMMV depending on what strings you normally use.