1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bolt on neck 7 string (considered 6 but finally decided)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Slidlow, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    So I will start this thread not knowing yet if I will do a six or seven string version. That will probably be decided later. For you Home Depot guys I have a piece of 1x3 curly maple found in the pile. Here it is cut in half with one piece sliced.
    IMG_4762.JPG
    I will get four pieces enough for 3" wide as is. I will be adding stringers for extra width.
    IMG_4764.JPG
    I have actually proportioned these long enough to go all the way to the bridge is desired. The last tapered part at the bridge end gets trimmed. It is possible to get to the very end with this method especially for shorter scale instruments.
    IMG_4765.JPG
    I have a leftover piece of Macassar ebony for the center and have it glued to one side.
    IMG_4775.JPG
    Once dried I will run it through the jointer and glue on the second piece of maple. I will use nogal (Peruvian walnut) for the stringers between the outer layers of maple.
    This is being done between other builds so updates may be few and far between for the first while. If it's to be a six I have gold hardware and black hardware for a seven. The top will be book matched lace wood and I have not yet decided on the back of the body but I do have a block of light ash. The fingerboard will be either sissod or rosewood.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    BritFunk and Matt Liebenau like this.
  2. Slidlow

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Center strips glued and tapered. Next to add the nogal and outer maple pieces.
    IMG_4776.JPG

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  3. Slidlow

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Nogal stringers on now the last of the maple. After that I have to decide 6 or 7 string. It is just wide enough for 7 at the bridge end.
    IMG_4777.JPG

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  4. Slidlow

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    I understand people on this forum like clamps a lot. Here you go! One more piece to glue on after this.
    IMG_4780.JPG

tbrannon, Beej and Matt Liebenau like this.
  5. Slidlow

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    So now I have a neck blank. Looking at using this piece of ash with a bookmatched lacewood top. The neck will set into the body maybe up to the bridge but will be covered by the lacewood. May only set in 3-4" yet. haven't decided. Still considering either a six string or 7 string. I have gold hardware for a six and black hardware for a seven. I think the lacewood would compliment gold hardware so I am leaning that way and maybe do a seven later.
    IMG_4781.JPG

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    BritFunk, 5tring and Matt Liebenau like this.
  6. Slidlow

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    So rethinking this again. I am not liking the ash with the lacewood top so I may sideline the six string and revisit a seven again. I am thinking now of a working man's seven. No top plates and simple construction. I am considering solid ash body. Next is to decide on bolt on up to the first pickup or setting the neck blank in up to the bridge. Do I want the neck laminations on the body or just show more ash? IMG_4787.JPG I have two passive pickups for more simplicity. Maybe a VVT setup for control. Have to give this some more thought.
    Update: Okay I think I have convinced myself to go with the seven string first. I have a nicer piece of curly maple to make the six neck out of and I want the lacewood top with all gold hardware on the six as well. So later.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  7. Slidlow

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Made a few more decisions aside from seven string. It will be a bolt on neck. The neck will go into the body up to the pickup but frets will end at 24. I have a nice piece of Rengas from the body for my six string fretless that will give me the fretboard, headstock overlay and a cover for the neck from the end of the fretboard to the pickup. I'll keep grain running as close as possible. So from the back the body will have a deep heel carve allowing better access. The cover for the end of the neck will serve to hide the truss rod access. At the moment I am thinking clear for the body but that may change.
    IMG_4791.JPG

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Love the thread title change :laugh:

The guitar's nice too. :D

9. Slidlow

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada