bolt on neck install and setup, help needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sb69coupe, Sep 10, 2004.

1. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    First off, apologies if this isn't the right forum. I posted this over in the Setup forum and got zero replies.

Hi guys, I tried searching for previous posts on this to no avail. So here goes...

I'm considering buying a complete body and a complete neck and assembling them together myself. For those who may have seen the Signature bodies and necks being sold on ebay, that's what I'm interested in. Problem is, I've never removed or installed a bolt-on neck before. I've done plenty of truss rod, intonation, and string height adjustments but I've never ventured further than that. Can anyone point me to a decent reference on how to properly install, shim, align, etc a new neck?

Thanks in advance for any help,
  2. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC

Surely there is someone here who has mounted a neck to a body, and can either provide some tips or an online reference........
  3. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Be patient and I am sure you will get some great advice. I am anxiously watching this thread as I intend to put a bass together within the next year. I was going to go with a neck through but decided I would rather have a bolt on I think?
  4. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    the neck should fit into the neck pocket and simpley bolt in....if its not straight, you can possibly shim it, or need to re route the neck pocket.

for height sometimes you also need to shim it, should be pretty rare though if the person that made it has half a brain.

just from my experience, its all just by eye.....if it looks straight, strings are equal distance from both edges.

board shouldnt be much more then 5/16 off the body of the bass.