1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bolt-On Neck Straplock Relocation on Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ragu, Jul 28, 2005.

1. ragu

ragu

May 30, 2005
    West Lafayette, IN
    I recently purchased an Epiphone Thunderbird and after hearing all of the horror stories about the massive neck dive, I went ahead and picked up a set of Dunlop Straplocks in order to compensate. Having installed these before on my Les Paul, I dove right in and unscrewed the top right bolt from the neck only to find that it is approximately 2-3 times the size of my straplock's screws.

My question is this: can I reliably use the toothpick technique in one of the bolt holes for the bolt-on neck with the provided straplock screws or should I look into some other method? I'd really prefer to avoid drilling a hole in the neck as was recommended by a number of people if possible.

2. ragu

ragu

May 30, 2005
    West Lafayette, IN
    I made sure to thoroughly search the forums and read over the links you pasted previously, however I would prefer to avoid drilling into the bass as both of those suggest. My main concern is that I worry that filling one of the four holes that was meant to stabilize the neck with toothpicks and a smaller screw will not provide the proper support and eventually warp the instrument.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    You're not willing to drill a small obscure hole for an extra strap pin, but you're willing to fill a neck hole with toothpicks (I know this works for small fill hole repairs)? The extra hole is a definite improvement for the bass and I doubt would cause any loss of value as it fixes a known problem with this bass.

You could always buy another strap, a couple of washers and mount it permanently to the bass via the neck screw, even using a say, 1/8" longer screw if that makes you feel more secure. Two of my basses have straps screwed in, and one of them is an Alembic (uses original holes)