Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bolt-On Neck Straplock Relocation on Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ragu, Jul 28, 2005.

1. ragu

ragu

May 30, 2005
    West Lafayette, IN
    I recently purchased an Epiphone Thunderbird and after hearing all of the horror stories about the massive neck dive, I went ahead and picked up a set of Dunlop Straplocks in order to compensate. Having installed these before on my Les Paul, I dove right in and unscrewed the top right bolt from the neck only to find that it is approximately 2-3 times the size of my straplock's screws.

My question is this: can I reliably use the toothpick technique in one of the bolt holes for the bolt-on neck with the provided straplock screws or should I look into some other method? I'd really prefer to avoid drilling a hole in the neck as was recommended by a number of people if possible.

2. ragu

ragu

May 30, 2005
    West Lafayette, IN
    I made sure to thoroughly search the forums and read over the links you pasted previously, however I would prefer to avoid drilling into the bass as both of those suggest. My main concern is that I worry that filling one of the four holes that was meant to stabilize the neck with toothpicks and a smaller screw will not provide the proper support and eventually warp the instrument.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    You're not willing to drill a small obscure hole for an extra strap pin, but you're willing to fill a neck hole with toothpicks (I know this works for small fill hole repairs)? The extra hole is a definite improvement for the bass and I doubt would cause any loss of value as it fixes a known problem with this bass.

You could always buy another strap, a couple of washers and mount it permanently to the bass via the neck screw, even using a say, 1/8" longer screw if that makes you feel more secure. Two of my basses have straps screwed in, and one of them is an Alembic (uses original holes)