Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bolt On Neck Torque Specification?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jiro, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Im putting this P-bass neck on this J-bass body right now... How Tight should it be screwed on?! Is there a certain torque specification that should be used? thanks.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    If the neck doesn't move, you're fine.

3. I always used the "until it stops" rule of thumb--put the bass face-down on the floor, straddle the body and put a knee on each horn, and with a Phillips screwdriver that fits the bolt--anything too small will skip under torque and strip the bolt--crank that little sucker until reasonable pressure won't turn it anymore. The bolts and screwdriver both must be steel--nothing else is strong enough.
    The idea is to have the neck make a good press-fit with the body--i.e. barely slip in without aid from the bolts--while not torquing the nuts so hard they strip, which means they're on there forever unless you drill them out, which is a nightmare.

4. You are at the mercy of the woods in the neck here. Since the grain composition isn't perfectly consistent neck to neck and you can't determine it beforehand, you can't set a spec for tight. Besides, wood screws don't usually have a torque spec assiged to them.

Now, if you want, you can install threaded steel inserts in your neck (my specialty!) and then use machine screws for holding it and you could torque them to some number.

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    On both of my MIA P-Basses they tightened the screws until the corners of the plate were bent in about a sixteenth of an inch. The sharp edges on the plate dug into the finish. The problem is that they put a real deep countersink in the back of the bass body so that the only way they can get any clamping pressure is to distort the heck out of the neck plate. On my MIM P-Bass there was no countersink so that the screws contacted the body first and tightened up some before contacting the plate, no distortion. Just be careful as you tighten the screws and watch for the corners of the plate to bend in. When that happens, stop. Good Luck.