Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike sancho, Apr 9, 2004.

1. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    OK this is probably an old thread but I'm not finding any. I've always been pretty much a bolt on guy and I'm thinking about a single cutaway neck through. Bolt on vs. neck through, what's your preference and why?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have only played one neck through bass and without an a/b test between it a bolt on copy, I honestly couldn't tell that much difference. It had active electronics so most sounds could had pretty decently.

I did like that way the heel felt, but I honestly wouldn't ever choose or dismiss a bass just because of the type construction.
  3. I tend to like bolt on necks. I prefer the punchier sound that they tend to give as apposed to the smoother sounding neck throughs. While I realize that this is a massive generalization, I find it to be true a lot of the time. currently all the basses I own are bolt ons, but I'll probobly end up getting a neck through eventually. Some of my favorite neck through basses that I've played are Foderas, Gibson Thunderbirds, and Rickenbackers.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    How 'bout set-neck construction? You get a bit more sustain, but still retain some of the quick response of a bolt-on...speaking in general terms, of course.
  6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I prefer bolt-ons (as does my luthier) for two reasons:

a) As mentioned above, punchier sound
    b) easier to replace, if needed
  7. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I only play neck-thrus... bolt-on's just don't feel right to me anymore, it's been so long now...
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Brubakers are neckthru/bolt-ons with a neck that goes deeeep into a 5 sided pocket in the body. I get the best of both worlds, great stain, tons of growl.
  9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    As a whole, I prefer BO's to NT's, but lately, the Set-Necks that I have tried have been a really good compromise between a BO and a NT.
  10. Bolt-ons can have sustain rivaling that of neck-thrus by installing steel threaded inserts with stainless steel machine bolts. The clamping force is about 4 times that of a similiar neck joint held together with wood screws.

I've done it to 4 of my basses (as of now) and each one improved.