1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bolt on or Neck Thru - A Poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Mar 17, 2009.

B.O. or N.T.?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2009.
  1. Bolt On

83 vote(s)
    46.1%
  2. Neck Thru

35 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. I really don't care either way

53 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. B.O. can be very very smelly and not a joke

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have never been a fan of neck through basses and in fact all 13 of my basses are bolt on. I just prefer bolt on. They seem to sound better to me. More sustain? Easier to maintain? No idea, but bolt on basses for me!:)

You?

2. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    All mine have big SCREWS!!

3. Where da poll, yo?
    I like BO, but go both ways.

4. sowder

sowder Guest

Mar 1, 2008
    Yea...I bet you go both ways :eyebrow:

Seriously though I like the BO myself too. I've had both and I like the ease of maintenance and the sustain is better. I still don't know why neck throughs are so much more expensive usually.

5. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Yeah you need to make an actual poll brother.

Bolt on all the way! That way you can actually change the neck if you break it!

6. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    4 string- bolt on or glue in like Gibson
    extended range- neck through or bolt on
    Bean soup....and beans!

7. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I have both in nearly the same basses, a Thumb NT4 and a Thumb BO5. The NT has a more full-range sound and works well whilst recording, but the BO5 has a lot more punch and presence in a live scenario. I like both.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Odd how many folks (myself included) prefer the obviously "inferior" bolt on construction. I've had several of each flavor of bass, and I keep coming back to bolt-on (and no, my first bass was NOT a fender - it was a set-neck Gibson!).

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Yeah, Yeah... I have a pinched nerve in my arm/hand. Hard to type with only 1 hand! There's your stinkin' poll!:spit::D

10. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Bolts forever... At least untill I become a solo artist and can give up the punch.

11. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    My three main players are all neck-throughs, but except for a custom single cut they were bought used. So mostly NT's for me, but it really doesn't matter much one way or the other .... I don't see a big difference between the styles ... :cool:

12. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I'll do either:

Ritter0347back_2.

Can't get more bolt-on than a Ritter!

DSC_3818.

Neck through makes for some pretty transitions

13. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've had experiences all over the map with both. I do prefer the practicality of BO but the one NT in my current stable sings like a freakin' canary and cuts like hot knife through butter.

Good > Bad.

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I roll with any, is all good.

15. I've played both and it really doesn't make a difference for me. So, that's what I voted. :bassist:

16. I much prefer bolt on on wooden neck basses. It gives a much snappier attack imo!

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a slight preference for bolt on because you can adjust the pitch of the neck. If I found a nice neck-thru that I connected with I wouldn't hesitate to buy it because it was neck-thru.

18. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    You are missing a "set-neck" option.

I own two set-necks and four bolt-ons.
    There is an obvious difference in sustain when it comes to the set-neck basses.
    It's not a huge difference but it's there.

With that being said, it still doesn't make me appreciate my bolt-ons any less.

I will say that I worry more about my set-neck basses more then the bolt-ons.
    One little accident and SNAP, the bass will never be the same again.

At least you can replace the bolt-ons easily.

19. I like the look of neck through better, i've seen alot of very pretty basses that were NT. however, I've always felt that BO had more of what i wanted it. I like my basses to hit hard, not sound long!

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's simply because, all else being equal, neck-thru is more expensive to manufacture.