Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bolt-on positioning/Set neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by John Ruiz, Sep 6, 2002.

1. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    What determines the ideal placement of bolts on a bolt on bass. I am cuurently building a 6 string bolt on and I want to make sure I place everything in the best way possible for tone, structural integrity, etc. Should I use metal sleeves? If so where can I get them and how do I install them?

Also, what exactly is a set neck? Is that the same as a through neck? If not what are the pro's and cons of set neck vs. bolt on?

I know this is a rapid fire barrage of questions, but any input would be very helpful to this beginning luthier...(wannabe :D )

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Set neck is a glued in neck. Very few bass builders use a set neck, although there is a new Alembic model that employs one. They seem like more trouble than they're worth on a solid body instrument.

Someone else will have to answer the bolt question.

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I now build all my basses with set neck construction. I assume that Darrin also use it so maybe we could here him on that topic...

I personnaly prefer this method over bolt on because the way I then carve the heel permits better higher fret acces.
    Of course you can have great access to the upper frets using a bolt on neck but then it's a matter of the whole instrument design (position of the neck regarding the body of the instrument, neck extending in the body...)

I'm not found of NT construction because I always felt it has less attack.

IMHO, there's not much difference in tone between Set-in and bolt-on.

BTW, i really love the aesthetics of set neck.

Sorry for the bolt question. MT or KSB????

JP

4. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Thanks for your input guys!! I think that I am going to follow through with the bolt-on as planned as I think that for a beginner like myself it would present less of a design challenge. I am going to be using my Modulus Q6 as a guide as far as the cutaway in the body and high fret access, I may also use the same bolt pattern, but I suppose I would like to know WHY that is or isn't a good pattern.

I would also really like to know about bolt sleeves etc, because it just makes sense to me that they would be necessary. I suppose I could remove the neck on my Q6 and see what they did, but that wouldn't be an accurate comparison, as the neck I am using is wood.

P.S: I just want to mention how AWESOME it is to have professional/patient :D , and talented luthiers on this forum to help us newbies out! Thanks guys!!

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Most Gibson guitars are set neck. I believe most Gibson basses, also.

Foderas are set neck also.
    [​IMG]

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Ok Pilotjones,

In fact Fodera offers set neck construction but your pic showed the back of a neck trough emperor bass ;-)
    Here's a set neck emperor:
    [​IMG]

JP