Bolt On = Rocker Friendly?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I was reading my Bass Player Magazine, and it was talking about some new bass. It said that it had a bolt on neck for rocker friendly bassists. Are thru-neck designs bad for rocking or what?
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I think that the assumption is if you are rocking out you might damage the neck of your bass and need to replace it where a bolt-on would be better than a neck-thru. Or that a bolt-on sounds "tighter" than a neck-thru. I've played both for many years and I don't think that either is more "rocker friendly" than the other.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah, so basically it was just a marketing thing to make it sound cool, thanks! :)
  4. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the few neck throughs I've played (rickenbacker modified with SD humbuckers and an ESP C305) sounded "smoother" to me than any bolt-ons I've played or owned. I think generally speaking bolt-ons are considered to have a little more of an aggressive tone due to their fast attack (the time it takes for a note to reach full volume). One of the things that can hamper attack is sustain (neck throughs have PLENTY). YMMV.