1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bolt On = Rocker Friendly?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I was reading my Bass Player Magazine, and it was talking about some new bass. It said that it had a bolt on neck for rocker friendly bassists. Are thru-neck designs bad for rocking or what?

2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I think that the assumption is if you are rocking out you might damage the neck of your bass and need to replace it where a bolt-on would be better than a neck-thru. Or that a bolt-on sounds "tighter" than a neck-thru. I've played both for many years and I don't think that either is more "rocker friendly" than the other.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah, so basically it was just a marketing thing to make it sound cool, thanks! :)

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the few neck throughs I've played (rickenbacker modified with SD humbuckers and an ESP C305) sounded "smoother" to me than any bolt-ons I've played or owned. I think generally speaking bolt-ons are considered to have a little more of an aggressive tone due to their fast attack (the time it takes for a note to reach full volume). One of the things that can hamper attack is sustain (neck throughs have PLENTY). YMMV.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-