Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bolt on vs neck thru

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aenema, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    how do these each affect the bass? sound? playability? sustain?

2. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    check, "NEWBIE LINKS"

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    That's a loaded question, answers will nearly all be either full of opinions or impossible to understand science. It's also been discussed at great length repeatedly around here. A quick search should give you several hours of reading, none of which will give you a definitive answer.

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think there is one thing that remains objective in the bolt-on vs. neck-through debate:

That if your necks gets severely damaged, you're pretty much screwed if your bass is neck-through. A damaged bolt-on neck can be detached and a new neck can be re-bolted on.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    This is somewhat misleading. You should add "assuming you can find a neck" to this. As near as I can tell finding a replacement neck for anything but a P or J bass costs around as much as an entirely new bass. :rollno:

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    True, but still, a bolt-neck bass is still theoretically more salvagable than a through-neck bass if the neck is badly damaged.

7. neck throughs are often shaped (where the bolts would go in on a bolt on) to allow more comfortable and better access to the upper register. Which I really like.

then theres the idea that bolt ons can shift and neckthroughs dont... I havnt run into a problem with my bolt on yet...

8. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    i think that its a matter of opinion.

i dont own a neck through though. they are really expensive. I own a bolt on warwick, and when i played the neck through it sounded quite different. Not as snappy or bright, but really defined and i really liked the lows.

I would like to get a neck through at some point.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    True, but what percentage of basses have necks damaged and require replacing?

10. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    My experience w/neck throughs over bolt-ons:
    Maybe in some cases not as bright sounding but a lot more mids, deeper lows and better sustain. My theory is that sound travels more efficiently though consistent and uninterupted materials vs traveling through a neck joint into different density woods. Of course the best thing to do is try and play bolt-on and neck through versions of the same bass-like a Spector or Warwick to get a good A-B comparison.

11. I personally like the feel of a neck-through bass. If the neck was damaged, I guess you could always have a pocket routed and turn it to a bolt on. . .unless there is too much of a taper where the neck meets the body.

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    To date 25% of the basses I've owned have been retired due to irrepairable neck issues. Also dropping in a new neck allows for replacement of a worn fingerboard, which would lower the restoration bill for my 4001 Rick by about $500, were such an option available.

13. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Okay, now that's just nitpicking. But you never know what could happen at a rowdy gig or whatever other wonky situations. Likeliness of wonky happenings can be slim, but it still a real possibility.

I still stand by my assessment.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's good that you stand by your assessment. But, my assessment is that I've been playing in a wide variety of situations for a very long time, both with bolt-on and neck-through instruments, and never had to replace a neck.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's an awfully high percentage. It's tragic that so many basses you've owned have gone to bass-heaven because of neck issues. What caused those issues, if you don't mind my asking?

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

25%? I have owned 20 different basses in 26+ years of playing, and have had regular playing time with 12 - 15 more at various churches I have played for, and have never had a single experience with an irrepairable neck issue.

I guess I am doing something wrong.

17. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I've been playing for over 20+ years and have never replaced a neck on a bass. I only have neck thrus now because they are my personal preference. The "you might mess up the neck" argument for bolt-on verses neck thru is a possibilty but so remote that I don't think that it is an issue. Buy and play what feels best to you.

18. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Living in Maryland for 5 years without reliable AC. 100%+ humidity for months on end will kill almost anything.

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    IME:
    Sustain (NT) vs Punch (BO).

Among others. :p

Ray

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Dude, I live in PA, and it's not that bad (also, impossible to have 100%+ humidity). My uncle is a Frederick native for as long as I can remember, and has guitars/basses older than I, no sweat at all. He just moved into a house with AC for the first time about 5 years ago.