Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bolting On For Strength...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tonrutoo, Aug 14, 2004.

1. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Hey guys.
    I realize that most any bolt-on design is adequate for strength;what I want to know is what approaches the ideal.
    Neck plate vs. ferrules,number and type of bolts...
    I'd like it to stop at practicallity as in replaceability,and availability.
    I like the ferruled look on Lakland and Warwicks;what do you think?
    *this is as it applies to the bass I'm working toward:
    -jazz jr.rock maple body
    -.9"depth at nut rock maple neck
    Thanks for any replies.

2. I've sort of taken the neck joint as a personal research project as I've been studying here in the shop. As it stands now, I use a combination of a flat bottom neck pocket (like a big dovetail) and steel inserts with stainless steel oval head machine screws. Because my designs haven't had pockets that extended deep into the neck, I haven't had to use any more than 4. I do like the ferrule look but I also like the simplicity of a stainless cup washer with the oval head screw. That does the same thing for about $.50. Using this package has made my neck joints very stout and they play like neck-thru's.

I use another method when it's required and that's to use stainless T-nuts rather than inserts. The T-nuts are installed under the fretboard and are even stronger than inserts. But you can only do this as part of the building process. When I'd gotten to that point on the last neck, I didn't have the patience to wait for getting some nuts, so I put the top board on and went the insert route. Sometimes I get that way. :rollno:

3. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Thanks Hambone.
    You're one of the few guys that understand my"mil-spec overkill"fixation.

4. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Hambone, I have a few questions:

1. Where do you buy the steel inserts?
    2. Where do you buy the SS cup washers and SS machine screws?
    3. What size are the the machine screws?

Thanks for the help.