Bombed Show- Yikes!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by chaosMK, Nov 23, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My band has been together for about 3 months. Once the bassist joined, things really started moving. After a month, we booked our own night at a venue that hadnt offered live music in years- and it was a killer night. Things just picked up from there. The band exploded- with each gig having twice as many people as the last, and making some decent money while at it.

Last night was our show at one of the choice venues in town. The place got more and more packed as time went on, and we were the headliners. Finally the time comes and I am setting up. I give my Mesa Bass 400 a little time to warm up. Boom! Fuse blows. I replace the fuse (hey, you can never be to prepared- I had a show in the past where it blew, and my jerk band at the time kept playing the rest of the show without me!). Blows again. I am running out of fuses so I mention this to the sound guy, and he plugs me somewhere else. Problem solved.

My band, being so anxious to play, jumps right into the first song once the problem was solved. I am way out of tune cause I just denatured alcoholed my strings the day before and hadnt played since. Tuning as I go along, and make it through the first few songs.

My sound was the dumps the whole show. Being out of tune and dump-sounding reduced my mojo somewhat, and I was on the side of the stage facing the packed bar. The drummer missed the most important changes in our best songs. Unexpected extra measures thrown in all over the place. The guitarst said he cut out about 20 times during the show due to some cable problem. It was ruthless!

By the end of our hour long set, we threw so much (wasted?) energy into it we could barely walk. Instead of doing a grand encore like we usually do, the guitarist- slightly flushed and stumbling- just turned off his amp and shook his head. It was over. Thank god!
  2. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Well most of the time time these mistakes go unnoticed by the audience.But you made it very apparent by just storming off stage.Not very professional if you ask me.
  3. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    I've got to agree with RATM...

If they wanted you guys to play on they obviously enjoyed what you were doing and the mistakes were only noticeable by you guys.

We've all done gigs where we're positive we sounded like crap, but the audience had a blast. You just run with it.
  4. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Yeah I've had one or two gigs where I was so ashamed of how we were playing that I just buried my head in the fret board I just couldn't look up. Fortunately theres onyl been one or two of those gigs but it ceretainly does happen
  5. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I am pretty resolved about it. Over the day I came across a few positive comments about our show.

I am the bassist. The guy who called it quits was the guitarist. I was actually kind of pissed off by his behavior. :scowl:
  6. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I have been known to tune during a song that had an 'A' in it... then play that string until you get a 'D' or something... play simple beats but in the right key until you get it done.

A good thing about being able to tune by ear.
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Let me ask a question...what kind of guys are you jamming with that can't wait 1 friggin minute for you to tune?

To me, that is very unprofessional and setting the band up for failure. You need to take the time to make sure all your ducks are in a row before the first downbeat.

Seriously, 1 minute! :rollno:
  8. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I've found that laughing a lot when this sort of thing happens leads the audience to think you're having a fantastic time, whether they notice mistakes or not. It's infectious, too, other band members might actually start having a good time instead of faking it after a while. Even if you don't mean it, grin and stick your tongue out at an offending drummer, or make wierd faces at your tuning keys. Sounds silly, and it is, but it seems to work for me.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Congratulations, Chaos! You just learned a valuable lesson...the audience loves you when you play your worst and sits on their hands when you're at your best. It never fails. All you can do is shrug your shoulders and hope your next gig goes better. It's not a big deal. Nobody died because of it.
  10. Well according to your logic, Jimmy, you should actually hope your next gig goes worse.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hmmm, good point, Jack. Maybe I should join YOUR fanclub instead!
  12. Wow, then we'd live in some topsy-tervy upside-down world where cats chase dogs and pants fall up.