Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bone Avatar 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Just got this from John DiMaggio at www.bassalone.com. Bone Avatar 6 singlecut. neck through, Bartolini pickups, Aguilar OBP-1 preamp (bass and treble, boost only).

[​IMG]

2. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Celtic Martian inlay

[​IMG]

3. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    [​IMG]

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    now how much was this? you said you couldn't pass it up :)

D

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    .[​IMG]

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    by the way.. beautiful bass. :) Bone Basses are fantastic basses.. they are up to pretty much par with Salas's work :)

D

7. Thats a sweet looking peice of wood, but why does the thread title say Bone Avatar 5?

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Fixed:D

[​IMG]

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    1/2 price.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Right. So, now where's the full inspection and performance report?

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Holy crap! Quilt, flame, and purpleheart go quite well together!

What's the fingerboard?

On the headstock, is that ebony between the purpleheart and maple?

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Playability is excellent, with one minor caveat... the 28 frets on the C side. Surprisingly, there's enough room for plucking the C and even more for the rest of the strings. The action is set low and it's pretty much effortless to play. I don't see a need to tweak it (other than raising the pickups... I like them very close to the strings). I think John has this strung with Fodera strings.

BTW it has Hipshot hardware with Dunlop straplocks, which I have on several other basses. I think the knobs are Ebony.

This bass has a very clear yet full sound. Very even string to string response, very punchy, even on the high strings. Nice growl, actually make that very nice. The lows are excellent. B string is very open and slaps easily, no hint of flop. The Aggie preamp (18v) works well (I haven't come across too many Aguilar OBP-1 installs I've actually cared for). I guess the difference with this one is that the bass sounds great flat and the boost seems gradual.

The volume control has a coil tap function built in, I prefer humbucking vs. split coil... so far. From what I see so far I think this bass was worth the original price, the construction is excellent, the design seems pretty unique IMO...he did take some chances stylistically and I think they work. I'd probably prefer that it was only 24 frets, I know I won't use those last few. I'd estimate the RH spacing is 18mm-19mm, basically wide.

My next gig should be interesting, I'll take this and the Fodera 6.

John was a pleasure to work with... highly recommended.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Patience, grasshopper;)

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I agree;)... this bass is pretty sweet. The construction is top notch, so far I don't see any flaws. Great attention to detail.

That does appear to be a layer of Ebony sandwiched between the Purpleheart and neck. The PH is cut back to expose the Ebony where the logo is. Looks pretty cool IRL.

The fretboard is Ebony. Here's the topside of the neck:

[​IMG]

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm glad you like it Brad I told you it was a total steal. I've played that bass many time and agree with just about everything Brad said, and he probably described it better than I could.

Note to darkmazda: I think the Bone basses are much better than the Salas basses, they are completely hand made while the Salas ones have pre-fab necks which is what helps keep the cost down. Salas basses are great but Jamie White's work is definitely up there with some of the best...

It's too bad John won't be carrying his line anymore.

16. I have a Bone piccolo 5 in the works (a double cut one at that too). And seeing this just made the wait for it more painful. Congratulations on the bass though, a real beauty.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks. Looking forward to seeing yours. This guy is good. Very good.

18. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    Sometimes, after playing on my Bone 6, I wonder why this guy more well known in bass circles.

His workmanship blew me away. Not only that, he provided excellent input on my choice of woods for producing the tones I wanted.

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice score, Brad! I've played those Bones at Bass Alone and always been impressed. Congrats.

20. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    'scuse me while i wipe the drool off my keyboard...

AWESOME bass man!! I've been in John's shop, but never tried a Bone before...if I get back to the west coast someday, i'll definitely seek one out.