Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bone Fest

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Johnny L, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Saw Slide Hampton's all-star bone fest at the Blue Note last week. The bassist was playing a fretless electric rather than a double bass, but he was still fantastic, as were all the performers.

It was too hard to play "critic" and complain about intonation and tempos and such, as I couldn't keep my head from swinging with the music.

How do you NYC guys stand it having so much wonderful talent up there?

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I didn't have a clue who Slide Hampton was when I was there...it just seemed like the right thing to do, and I wasn't really interested in checking out the Village Vanguard with Bob Dylan not being featured and all.

Wouldn't you know, as I come back from the library with the Brahms Violin Conterto ready to spin and getting knocked out, again, by one of Brahm's compositions and the folks pulling it off, I go through the free downloads from the Abersold website and voila, Slide Hampton is mentioned as a fantastic soloist with heroic articulation abilities and given a "preferred listening" label. No one would hear me disagree.

Wonder if Abersold has a circular breathing articulation hall-of-fame as well?