1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bone Nut for Warwick Thumb BO 5er.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by warwick.hoy, Apr 18, 2009.

1. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I did a search of this particular sub-forum but didn't find what I was looking for.

I know the bass took a dive a few weeks ago but after checking it out I figured everything to be all right. Last night at rehearsal I noticed a chunk off of the "JAN" on my 98 Warwick Thumb BO 5 String.

DSCN2144.

As you can see the tab that is on the G string side has broken off along with a piece of the nut. Nice little gouge in the G-String as well. I've been wanting to replace the JAN with a bone nut for a while as well. I'll have a professional do it as well as preform a setup. I will be making a few calls here in an hour or so.

My question is; what size bone nut blank would I need to get a proper fit and a professional appearance or is there a particular brand/model blank that is popular for this bass?

EDIT: Nevermind...Took it in....they had an allparts blank that fit the bill.

2. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    Let me know how it turns out

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Got it back this afternoon before a rehearsal. I love the work he did. My ear doesn't detect much difference than the JANII. The nut feels solid. I do like how it is a bit more comfortable to play. I've seen this done to other Thumbs (brass as well). I like it.

DSCN2229.

The barrel jack needed replacing so the tech swapped in a switchcraft jack. I don't know what Warwick used in 1998.

Also had it intonated and the relief adjusted. Action set as well. Plays like a dream.

4. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    Dude,it's not adjustable!!!
    Just jokin mate.Looks fine.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    :D

I always found the JANs to be a little gimmicky. Mine never got adjusted in the 9 years I've owned my bass.