Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bone Nut ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yakbass, Jul 24, 2005.

1. yakbass

yakbass

Jul 24, 2005
    Italy !!
    Bone Nut respect Plastic or metal
    which is the difference ?
    which to get Low frequency and Warm ?

2. Once you put a finger on a fret it doesn't matter. If I had a choice, I'd go with a 0 fret (like the MTD's).. which results in the open string to sound virtually identical to a fretted note. However... the nut material is pretty unimportant.

3. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Like KJung said, its pretty unimportant as soon as you play any fret, but the harder the material the nut is made of, the more vibration will get into the wood when playing an open string, so a bone nut is best (or any other very dense material)

Theres a reason most expensive instruments use harder materials, as with the bridge, the harder/denser material, the better.

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Actually.....the harder and more dense the material is, the LESS vibration gets transferred to the neck, and the better sustain you get. The string energy gets reflected back into the strings motion. If you use a softer material, your open notes will lack clarity and authority, yet be "warmer"
    Corey

5. If you use a beef-bone nut/saddle combination on a fretless bass...you'll get more mooooooooooooooo-wah! :D :D

I crack myself up...

Actually, what everyone else has said...

basically, nut consideration is important for the following purposes:

1...open notes only (material selection)
    2...tuning (no hangups, the width of the slot cuts)
    3...lower frets (1,2,3...) action (the depth of the slot cuts)

6. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    after having the plastic nut on one of my basses chip this weekend and the A string kept popping out, I'm gonna go with Corian, bone, or a metal for nuts. Thank god for backup basses.