1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bongo bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steveo1066, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Steveo1066

Steveo1066

Dec 18, 2016
    Is the Musicman Bongo still available with the piezo pickup?

TolerancEJ likes this.
  2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    AFAIK yes

3. Steveo1066

Steveo1066

Dec 18, 2016
    Thanks

4. Steveo1066

Steveo1066

Dec 18, 2016
    Has anyone played a Bongo with the Piezo pickup?
    Thanks

5. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    No one ever has.

TWolf likes this.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Yes. I owned and played nothing but a Bongo 5 (in the last vid of my sig) with a piezo in it for about 2 years straight. I never used the piezo soloed, and when I dialed it in with the other pickups I couldn't really hear any difference. I also have hearing loss in the upper frequencies, fwiw.

My suggestion if you're seriously considering it: If you ever play in acoustic settings, or at very low volume gigs, you might want to consider it. It adds an additional sound to your palette. If you play loud or heavy music always, don't bother. There are more than enough EQ options available without it, and when guitars and drums kick in theres nothing in the piezo that won't get completely drowned out.

And no (cuz someone will probably ask :)), it doesn't make the Bongo sound like an upright when soloed. Makes it sound like a "different" kind of bass. Not anything I'd use outside of an acoustic setting though.

muggsy likes this.
  7. Steveo1066

Steveo1066

Dec 18, 2016
    Ok,Thanks Joe. That is perfect.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  8. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Actually, I'm pretty sure EBMM does not offer the piezo option in Bongos any more. I got one with my Neptune Blue Bongo HSp three years ago, but I believe they discontinued the piezo in 2015.

FWIW, I love the added flexibility of the piezo with the HS setup, though I agree with Joe that it's not going to make an audible difference in a loud band setting.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  9. Steveo1066

Steveo1066

Dec 18, 2016
    Thanks. On a new note. My bongo just arrived and the intonation is way off. And the pick guard is not flush all the way around.

10. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Greater Knoxville TN
    Red Bongo. Dargie Bongo with Piezo. These two sound nothing like each other. The piezo adds a hollowness and acoustic element to the sound. Nice addition. Not noticealbe when playing at ear crushing volumes. 0329170724.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  11. Steveo1066

Steveo1066

Dec 18, 2016
    Very nice. I don't the piezo is available any more. I'm looking forward to mine. What I heard sounds amazing. Can't wait.
    Thanks

12. Steveo1066

Steveo1066

Dec 18, 2016
    Also, this colors rock.