Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo body question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I dont abuse my insturments but im clumsy as hell and I jump and thrash around alot on stage and im curious how well bongos take abuse. I never owend a bass with basswood and im asking cause I hear basswood is really soft and dents and chips easier then most woods when hit.

2. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    bwomp

3. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I may be able to let you know soon as I'm hoping to have a Bongo on order within 1-2 weeks or so (once my Warwick sells basically). Here's my initial opinion though....it's not bare basswood. Ernie Ball always has very durable finishes on their basses and I don't see why the Bongo would be any different. Sure, you'll have the chance of putting a dent in the clear coat, maybe down to the wood if you hit it hard enough, but I don't think you'll have problems. All their instruments are rock solid

4. proc83

proc83

Jan 18, 2005
    Well, my bongo fell and hit an amp, then crashed into a wall...the only damage was a chip in the paint on the back of the neck, and lots of white stuff on the headstock (from the wall), which I just polished off...

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Bounced one of mine off the stage floor and fully expected MAJOR damage.

Got a little chip off the headstock, no big deal.

I think this "basswood is soft" stuff is way overrated.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Both of my Bongos have taken at least one spill each, and I still have all of the paint on them. No dents, or dings either.

7. I've heard of tremolo posts tearing out of basswood guitars.

You can mark that wood with your fingernail.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I can mark almost any wood with my fingernail if I work at it.

It's a bit harder to do once you get a full poly finish all over it.

9. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hard wood vs soft wood is more a matter of how easy it is to work with and how much it will resist warping. Think about pine. Pine lumber, 2x4, that's a very soft wood. probabally softer than basswood. but its still pretty damn hard.

~trav

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've heard of Bigfoot.

And, I can mark ebony with my fingernail.

Doesn't change the fact that I've smacked my Bongo into any number of chairs, cymbals, or doorknobs with nary a ding, chip, or mark.

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Plus, there's this:

Ernie Ball, in their infinite wisdom, refuses to install tremolo posts on Bongos.

Don't think I haven't begged, either.

12. Looking at the used Bongos for sale in various places, I have noticed several with dents at the end of the headstock. Or is it just the same one constantly being resold?!

13. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    peghead won't be basswood. Maple likely.

14. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish

Damn no floyd rose option on the bongo!

15. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The neck is made of maple. And, I'm willing to bet that most basses have little nicks and dings on the headstock--but, when the headstock is completely painted, those dings and nicks tend to stand out a bit more.

16. Yeah, right.

Well, you have pretty hard fingernails. But can you mark ebony as easily as basswood? Would you make a fretless fingerboard out of basswood?

And yeah, I'm aware that the finish will protect the wood. I'd be more concerned about things such as strap pegs tearing out. I know it's happening with all kinds of wood, but I'd be more concerned about it with a softer wood.

17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, it's true. I have heard of bigfoot.

That's a silly question. Who's saying you can make a fretboard out of basswood? When Ernie Ball, or anyone else for that matter, makes a fretboard out of basswood, I'll have that discussion.

I have heard of no endemic issue with strap buttons ripping out of basswood bodies, Bongo or otherwise. Evidence to the contrary is of course welcome.

All wood is flammable, too, but I'm not overly concerned with my Bongo spontaneously combusting.

18. OK, that's cool. Maybe my loathing for basswood isn't totally founded.

But I know at least one company that had to change their guitar bodies from basswood to maple due to trem posts ripping out, and I sure know that basswood is much more responsive to sanding than other woods. Make a body with a maple center block with basswood wings and you'll see what I mean.

Then again, maybe that company was using some weaker kind of basswood, I don't know.

19. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Did we have these discussions when the Steve Harris Signature Precisions came out?

Whoa, hang on, be right back, one of my Bongos is smoking.

20. There's no need to argue. I'm not bashing Bongos. I'd probably get one if i could.

I'm just saying I don't really trust basswood as a bass body material. That doesn't mean it doesn't work.