1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BONGO BONGO BONGO BONGO

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    What's a good price for a used Bongo model 4HH in visually mint condition (man, that's almost an oxymoron in this case!:p)

I recently ordered and received a CV squier 50's p bass on looks alone and when it arrived I discovered that, despite looking AWESOME and being lightweight, it just wasnt for me at all either tonally or comfort/feel. I'm pretty bummed.

So last night I strolled through the local store and grabbed the 2nd ugliest bass on the floor and found it to be pretty bongo-licious. I actualy really really liked it quite a bit. asking price 800. Fair, good, great, or normal price?

I dont hear too much about them, and was wondering if it's because they are so atrocious looking... OK, that line was a bit of a troll, but the rest of the post is for real.

Thanks in advance for those in the know.

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    No Bongo-ers out there? This is an a-Bongination!

3. All I know is that John Myung plays Bongos and any instrument he touches is gold. If it feels right, then it's right.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's a very good price. But you might be able to do even a little better if you walk in the door with cash in hand, and if you're a good negotiator... :meh:

MM

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that. His first series instrument with Yamaha was pretty attrocious.

6. huckingfuskie

huckingfuskie

Aug 4, 2008
    I recently put in an order for a brand new bongo. Im getting it next week. Its dawn blue single humbucker 4 string which is a discontinued model. Im paying 2000 taxes and shipping in. Thats expensive but considering i live in montreal where theres only 1 major dealer who carries ernie ball instruments and the fact that im getting a brand new now discontinued model, 2000$ seems fair to me.

So assuming the 2nd hand model you're getting is in good condition, i think 800 is a very reasonable price for such an awesome instrument. enjoy.

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    How did you manage to order the 2007 Limited Edition colour of blue dawn? It would have to be used, no?

8. huckingfuskie

huckingfuskie

Aug 4, 2008
    I didnt order from the company, that would take months. I initialy tried to obtain one from Steves in Montreal but theyve been sold out on bongos since forever (limited supply huge demand) so that jacked the price. I finaly found one at Steves music store in Toronto and its now on its way to montreal. from 2007 yes but never plaid and therefore brand new.

9. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    800 for a used Bongo 4HH is an excellent price. I would guess the reason that the price is so cheap is because the unique design is scaring most buyers away...lucky you.
    If it's what you want, then go for it. I revere both passive and active bass tones, and the bongo may provide you with the 18v versatility you desire. But if you are the kind of bass player who lusts after a Squire, simply because of looks, then it may be too much bass for you and out of your league.

Hands down, it is more versatile and infinitely better feeling than any slapped together 50s p squire "reissue". Also, the look might just grow on you.

Matt

10. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Oh okay. I saw three (no Bongos) at Long & McQuade in Ottawa about six months ago. It's a nice colour.

11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I would think a good used price for a Bongo would be $900-$1,200. I've seen them for less and for more. THey usually show up in Guitar Center for $950 or $1,000.

12. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    That's a great price for a great bass.

I think they look great. Kind of like a shark when they are being played. They look funny and bulbous hanging vertically, but who cares about that?

Buy it!

13. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    My x-wife use to say the same thing about me.

14. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    :)

15. I paid 1300 shipped for my used bongo 5HH and was pleased with the price (Living in Montreal). 800 will be money well spent.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    800 is on the low side of normal for a used Bongo, but keep an eye out. Guitar Center has been known to blow out "new" ones, too.

Jack

17. Todd Johnson owned one of those basses for a while so they can't be all that bad.

18. Well, I probably played that Bongo in Steve's here in Toronto! I really liked the Bongo, the electronics are very versitile and the neck is just sweet! I elected to buy another bass, but the Bongo was a nice option to consider.
    Some folks don't mind the looks and as far as I'm concerned, looks are very low on my list of criteria. Sound and playability are my main concerns and I must say that the Bongo stood up very well!
    And $800.00 Can is a darn good price based on my research... BTW -Steves had at least 4 or 5 of 'em hanging here in Toronto!
    fishhheadjoe

19. The only things I didn't like about my Bongo, and the reasons I sold it....

A)Body size was too wide for me to feel comfy compared to my G&L, I like a bit smaller body as I play my strap high up.
    B)It's a very delicate finish, especially having a finished headstock and neck, you ding it and the paint chips instantly, I was way too worried about that.
    C)I don't play 5 string.

Although I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for a 4 string Bongo with an unfinished neck and some other body wood other than basswood.

20. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Is that new, if so, $800 is a great price. One of the nicest basses I've ever ownered/played, at any price point.