Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo Dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smitcat, May 1, 2005.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    well, as many people have experienced, i decided to try a bongo HH 4 and absolutely loved it. I found one for a pretty good price ($969), but my problem is that i dont know if i should spend the extra couple hundred and get a different color. This one is black/black, and i like it, but i also really like some of the other color schemes, especially with pickguard options.
    I will probably stay with this one, but I was curious if that price is a standard, or is this a great deal? Also, does anyone know if I can find new pickguards somewhere? Or will i have to wait a while to have options.
    -Mike

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    just remember you may have this bass for a LONG time so I think you should get the color you want! You dont wanna open its case and think everytime "I wish I had gotten that other color" but if the colors not that bad get it , and yea Im sure you wont have a problem getting a replacement pickguard.

3. I passed up a cheaper bongo to order one with the colour scheme I wanted, plus I waited months for it. It seems superficial, but liking the look of your instrument really does make a difference to how much you want to play it. I'd say get the colour you want. There's a few places you can get pickguards from, the names and adresses escape me at the moment.

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    It all depends on how you feel about the purchase.
    • If you're simply buying a good bass for a great deal and might sell it later on, go for it.
    • If you think you've found a bass design that truly speaks to you and can see yourself with it for years, wait for what you desire.
    You used the term "absolutely loved it" so I'm guessing you'd lean toward the second - perhaps you can compromise by purchasing the Sapphire Black and adding a lighter pickguard - the lighter, "flashier" designs such as white pearloid, abalone, white ice, python, and moonstone offset the dark body nicely IMO, as well as aftermarket pickguards for additional choices.

...and yes, that seems like a very good price. About 50% off MSRP, and $263 below Musician's Friend's price. That's a large factor in my book.

5. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    thanks for showing me the pickguard site. I think i am going to get it, and look for a white pearloid pickguard, which was the original color scheme i was looking for. Once i get it, i will be sure to get some pics up

6. Man if you're not sure of the color better spend a little more and get the color you want...

7. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    What you need is Buttercream
    [​IMG]

8. Mahlon

Mahlon

Jan 27, 2005
    Bennettsville SC
    I ordered my lava pearl Bongo 4 HH through Bass Central for $1,129 with a nice Music Man hard case. Waited two months.

9. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    well, i went back to the store, and played it once again. I think this is quite possibly one of the most comfortable, best sounding basses i have played. and i scored it for $939!! It is without a case, but iwill pick one up some other time. My birthday is in a couple weeks, so i put it on layaway. That way i can accumulate GC gift cards. So in a couple weeks it will be all mine!!!!

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Congratulations! That's a great deal even w/o the case, and I've heard that some owners don't like the case and have gone the "quality gigbag" route.

Any ideas on what color/style pickguard you'd go for? No problem with the link, and you might be able to save yourself a few bucks by buying a blank and having a local shop do the simple trace/routing.

And congrats on becoming a Long Islander as well. I grew up and spent most of my life there (left at 25, am 29 now) and it's a nice place to be... if you have the financial resources for it. ;)

11. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    I am thinking about getting both black pearl and white pearl, so i can switch back and forth. Thats one great thing about basses with pickguards, you feel like changing something, just get a new one.
    LI isn't too bad either. Ive got a job now, and i need to find a part time job to support GAS. but i told myself that if i got down here, and found a job quickly, i would get myself a bass as a reward.