1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bongo eBay Pricing Madness!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

2. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Yeah doesn't seem right. It's not even HH, doesn't have the piezo, etc.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Well, the buyer is in Australia. US dealerships cannot ship brand-new EB/MM outside the US.

Maybe the buyer was desperate and could not find another bass for sale from a buyer that would ship to Australia.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Someone desperate, stupid or both, albeit the Aus$ is very strong against the US - about 20% up from this time last year, still no reason for throwing money away!

I sold a HH Bongo to OZ last year for $950 plus about $150 shipping. It was mint, but I paid $900 for it new (fantastic clearanace deal!) so I was happy.

6. Grinch

Grinch

Apr 14, 2002
    Texas
    Your not doing bad so far this week. You will probably do well (I hope that you do). Mine like yours got NO love last weekend. Lots of prowlers(watchers) but no pouncers (bidders). I have not put mine back out there yet... The comment about Australia is probably accurate.

Img_0154.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I bought a 5HH Bongo in 2005 for $800 out the door brand new, with the case, from a GC.

Sold it six months later for a profit.

Seems a little steep, IMO.

8. What you guys don't realise about this is the HUGE markup/middleman costs of MM basses in Australia and New Zealand. US $1600 probably seems like a steal!

I've never seen a Bongo in New Zealand (played one in the US though, didn't really like it), but an SR5 single H is NZ$4995 at the only chain that imports MM's (that's about $3900 US at current exchange rates).:eek: :eek: :eek: You can squeeze them for a 10% discount for cash (still $3500 US)

So we get absolutely killed by prices compared to you guys. Obviously if you hung out on TB, you'd know that better deals come up, but compared to local prices $1600 is likely to be a huge discount.

I bought my Dean Rhapsody 12 string in Vegas for $580 US. The only one I've ever seen in New Zealand was $2000NZ, or $1300 US at the exchange rate at that time. When I bought a piece of recording gear while in NYC a couple of years ago, for the price in a local store I could have flown to LA and bought one at the sticker price and flown home, or bought 2 over the internet from the US at the sticker price in GC and shipped them home, paid customs duty and all.

Steve

9. Lol. The buyer should have checked ebay.com.au. I found an excellent condition Bongo about 4 days ago (had like 2 days left on the listing I think) that had a "buy it now" price of AUD$1600. Less than half the price of a brand new one here. He should have bought that one.

10. Grinch

Grinch

Apr 14, 2002
    Texas
    Reserve not met

Remember ebay will get their cut, paypal will get there cut and you get whats left. If you can live with that then take the money and be done with it otherwise maybe hold onto it for a while.