Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo Haters rejoice! My new fretless has arrived!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Sep 27, 2004.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    After a short visit with it's fretted doppleganger, my fretless Bongo has arrived in all of its glory! :hyper:

Here's a quick pic with my other Bongo:
    [​IMG]

Better pics coming once the weather clears up. Sound clips to follow, too.

It's the single coil/humbucker/piezo version and it plays as good as it looks (or, inversely to that if you are of the "toilet seat" mentality. By the way--that just gets funnier and funnier...). I expect the 4 band EQ will really shine with bringing out the full mwah of the fretless. YIEEEEEEEE!

I've got to put a set of TI Superalloys on it, and install the strap locks, but it has certainly moved to the head of the pack with a quickness.

8 hours of gigs coming up this weekend. I can't wait. :bassist:

2. Wow..that thing looks awsome! Great colour combos!

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Awesome Bass. I think you better find a bright Yellow pickguard for it before I get the chance to buy a Bongo and do so :p. On another off topic note, does MM do custom tops (ie: Dave Larue's quilted Sterling) out of curiosity?

Congrats!

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Where do they put the flush button on those things? :D

:bag:

Edit: BTW is the front H in the H/H configuration splittable to run as a single coil?

5. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Nice.

What's the big deal about Bongos - I mean - why do people bag on them? Aside from the stupid name I mean. ;)

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    According to some, they bear a slight resemblance to a toilet seat....personally I can see it...but apparently they sound great. I also think the headstock looks pretty funny as well...but thats why we have variety in life!

[​IMG]

7. Awesome, man! I'm glad the wait is finally over (not nearly as glad as you, I imagine!) I look forward to playing a few out-of-tune notes on it soon.

8. jaco only needed four strings on his toilet seat, y'know.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    call me odd but when i look at that pic, i associate it with a couple, the fretless being a female, and the fretted a male. The male is wearing a tux and teh female a white dress.

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Is the body on the Bongo significantly smaller than on the Stingray? (We don't have Bongo's in Australia) - looking at the size of the bridge and "knobs" relative to the body it looks like quiet a small body. Is that fair?

11. Wow, I wonder wihat's with the knobs on there... hot and cold running notes? That looks kinda cool! :D

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd say it's a pretty small body.

And yeah, they may look funky (to me, in a good way) but they sound GREAT.

13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Ours may have been made in the same batch! I just picked mine up today. It's the same color, but with a H/H configuration, fretted, and with the white pearloid p/g. What's your serial #?

14. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's my fretted next to the fretless PBass this new Bongo replaced:

[​IMG]

If I were independently wealthy, I'd have kept the PBass, but I knew it wouldn't get much playing time with the new fretless Bongo.

15. Actually I think they look hella cool! Nice looking in an unusual or unique way.

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It probably is from the same batch. Scott said there were 7 white Bongos being made at the same time since it was such a PITA to match the neck color to the body color. Be glad you got a white one--Scott told me that they weren't going to offer the Bongo in white anymore, so it looks like we're part of a very exclusive club.

My serial # is F11182.

17. What year P bass is that? I have a 76 P bass that looks just like that but with frets... and a signature from John Entwhistle...

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Well, I'm one more toilety string than Jaco, aren't I? :eyebrow:

Wait a second...that didn't come out right.... :D

19. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Anytime, Dave! Shouldn't you be dodging hurricane debris right about now?

DUCK!! :bag:

20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Heh--I've been joking for months that I was going to get a pearl yellow pickguard so I could change the standard Bongo "joke" from toilet seat to egg. :D