Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo HH and skyline 44-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Well it has gotten to the point where I am working full time and living at home so I can build up some funds and replace my Renegade P copy and practice amp

I thought I wanted a bongo but I'm in a dilema... I play most my stuff solo, I like stu hamm's tone with his sig bass, however I also play in a band with hard or progressive rock. I guess we kinda sound like Dream Theater(minus being awsome haha) or some Muse type stuff. And I need to sit well in the mix.

I know the basses I've listed are what people call apples, oranges and well donuts? :) But they are the ones that have caught my eye.

What I want.
    -Neck that isnt huge, and is not glossy(sticky like a geddy sig)
    -Tone1: piano like for tapping, and refined for alone
    -Tone2: the bongo tone! aggressive, fat, and cutting.
    -pickups: well as long as there is plenty room for slap(bongo hh? hmm)

So the Bongo gives me tone 2 and the lakland gives me that mellow refined tone 1. Can either of them do both well? I'm also kinda worried about the bongo neck pickup cluttering my popping area. I already know I cant buy both, I'll probably be buying over ebay, to save costs as i am a university student. I'm not picky about MIA... I mean, skylines are really well built, or i've heard. Both basses are supposed to be very versatile. But like people say, apples and oranges... neither can do both am i correct?

So I want to mix a stu hamm tone with an aggressive one... possible?

I'm looking to spend <$1000.

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I'd wager the Bongo could get both tones easily. Well, it could get you more of tone 1 than the 44-02 could get you of tone 2, for sure.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

A Bongo HH with piezos will give you the best of both worlds. As I just posted in another thread, I don't know how could I live without the piezo sound for such a long time. The combination of piezos and both humbuckers with the neck pup slightly rolled off is perfect for solo pieces. I also play Stu Hamm solo stuff and I really like the way it sounds with my Bongo (my fingers are the sole reason why they don't sound perfect :( ).

About the two humbuckers getting on the way for slapping: It wasn't hard to me to get used to that. Now I feel pretty comfortable. In fact, it's an excellent exercise on discipline, because you must get used to pull the strings on a smaller area. Maybe most folks dislike that, but it's been great for me. BTW, the only thing I couldn't get used for slapping is that deeper carve in Yamaha TRB JP basses. Really awkward.

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I've played both the 55-02 and the bongo 5 hh and hj. I don't like the bongo at all. I think the tone is way to sterile and even strayed from the stingray tone that I loved. The 55-02 on the other hand was perfect for me, it felt incredible. It looked incredible and the tonal range was intense. If you want a more aggresive feel you should try the 44-02 with bass lines, many people say it'll give you that extra pop.

Good luck.

5. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    You can get a single H piezo Bongo although there are not as many around as the HH and SH models.