1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bongo HH and skyline 44-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Well it has gotten to the point where I am working full time and living at home so I can build up some funds and replace my Renegade P copy and practice amp

I thought I wanted a bongo but I'm in a dilema... I play most my stuff solo, I like stu hamm's tone with his sig bass, however I also play in a band with hard or progressive rock. I guess we kinda sound like Dream Theater(minus being awsome haha) or some Muse type stuff. And I need to sit well in the mix.

I know the basses I've listed are what people call apples, oranges and well donuts? :) But they are the ones that have caught my eye.

What I want.
    -Neck that isnt huge, and is not glossy(sticky like a geddy sig)
    -Tone1: piano like for tapping, and refined for alone
    -Tone2: the bongo tone! aggressive, fat, and cutting.
    -pickups: well as long as there is plenty room for slap(bongo hh? hmm)

So the Bongo gives me tone 2 and the lakland gives me that mellow refined tone 1. Can either of them do both well? I'm also kinda worried about the bongo neck pickup cluttering my popping area. I already know I cant buy both, I'll probably be buying over ebay, to save costs as i am a university student. I'm not picky about MIA... I mean, skylines are really well built, or i've heard. Both basses are supposed to be very versatile. But like people say, apples and oranges... neither can do both am i correct?

So I want to mix a stu hamm tone with an aggressive one... possible?

I'm looking to spend <$1000.

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I'd wager the Bongo could get both tones easily. Well, it could get you more of tone 1 than the 44-02 could get you of tone 2, for sure.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

A Bongo HH with piezos will give you the best of both worlds. As I just posted in another thread, I don't know how could I live without the piezo sound for such a long time. The combination of piezos and both humbuckers with the neck pup slightly rolled off is perfect for solo pieces. I also play Stu Hamm solo stuff and I really like the way it sounds with my Bongo (my fingers are the sole reason why they don't sound perfect :( ).

About the two humbuckers getting on the way for slapping: It wasn't hard to me to get used to that. Now I feel pretty comfortable. In fact, it's an excellent exercise on discipline, because you must get used to pull the strings on a smaller area. Maybe most folks dislike that, but it's been great for me. BTW, the only thing I couldn't get used for slapping is that deeper carve in Yamaha TRB JP basses. Really awkward.

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I've played both the 55-02 and the bongo 5 hh and hj. I don't like the bongo at all. I think the tone is way to sterile and even strayed from the stingray tone that I loved. The 55-02 on the other hand was perfect for me, it felt incredible. It looked incredible and the tonal range was intense. If you want a more aggresive feel you should try the 44-02 with bass lines, many people say it'll give you that extra pop.

Good luck.

5. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    You can get a single H piezo Bongo although there are not as many around as the HH and SH models.