1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bongo HH... crazy idea...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Call, May 3, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Okay. I've been considering selling my Bongo. I mean, it's in the classifieds. However, I keep finding myself coming back to the point where I don't want to.

I played it at church tonight, and had an absolutely crazy idea. It consisted of two parts:

1) Gut the preamp. Replace it with a Sadowsky.

2) I don't even know if this is possible; but convert it to a maple fretboard.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or am I talking crazy?

2. You're talking crazy.

3. Go for it.

..and post lots of pics and sound clips :p.

4. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    You're crazy honestly. Here are some questions you should ask yourself:

Replacing the fretboard is going to cost you some serious money for one, and what would you gain by doing it? Are you trying to get a brighter tone or do you just like the look of maple? The Bongo is inherently fairly bright.

And what are you trying to gain by switching to the Sadowsky pre? Is there something you find you are lacking with the Bongo pre?

Most importantly, what is it about playing the Bongo that you loved so much the other day, is there a chance that you would be changing something inherent to that greatness that you the Bongo to be?

Just some questions you should consider before doing something so drastic.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont really think you would gain much , if anything.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As someone who has been through an embarrassing number of basses, it sounds to me like you really want something new, i.e., the Sadowsky. You know the Bongo is a great bass, but you are itching for the Sadowsky. The choice is simple, either ignore your GAS and keep that fine HH Bongo, or get the Sadowsky. Putting a Sadowsky preamp on a Bongo really seems pointless to me. Either get one or the other.

7. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I believe he already has a Sadowsky.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Oh well, pardon my ignorance!:eek: Still, don't mess up a perfectly good Bongo with that Sadowsky preamp.

9. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    What would you gain in the Sadowsky Pre vs. the Bongo's orig. pre? And changeing fretboards would be quite a hassle.

Either A sell the bass. Or B keep it how it is.

I think you have a case of GAS ;)

10. I know what you should do. Completely disregard that idea of a new fingerboard unless your wealthy and money has the same value as dirt to you. On the part of the preamp, if your bongo can run passively, get an outboard sadowsky di.

11. +1 on outboard Sadowsky pre. Great idea!

12. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I like the preamp idea, I think it would be interesting to hear a Sadowsky preamp in a Bongo. Then you could put the Bongo's Preamp in another bass! :O

13. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Don't change it. It's fine. You will SEVERELY hurt the value of the bass if you frankenstien it, should you ever want to sell it.

14. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    why would you want to swap a 4-band state of the are pre for anything else? if you already have a sadowsky and you want your bongo to sound more like a sadowsky, sell your bongo and get another sadowsky.

i just don't see what you seem to think you will gain by swapping the bongo pre for the sadowsky pre...:confused: :confused:

15. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yep. I'm stupid.

I find myself trying to convince myself to keep the Bongo. The fretboard idea was indeed "out there." There's just something about the sound of the bass that doesn't do it for me anymore. I love the feel of it, and the positioning of the pickups when it comes to resting my thumb.

I'm just not overwhelmed by the sound. Basically, I want the feel/look of a Bongo; but with a different sound (the more I look at it, I realize I'm a 2-band pre type of guy). Granted, the issue could be in my EQ'ing. Although, I did sit down with the bass for an hour or so today looking for the sound I'm thinking of. At practice, I just didn't find myself cutting through...?

I'll probably check out the sadowsky pre/DI, since I've been meaning to get one for a while now.

I need to think things through more before I go talking crazy about them, starting threads, and whatnot.

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
    You're talking crazy. The only thing you'd gain by putting a Sadowsky preamp in a Bongo is the knowledge as to how good the Bongo preamp is. In other words....the Bongo has a better preamp for that bass.

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Don't apologize for starting a thread. We are all hear for feedback. I know posting has kept me from doing some dumb things myself.:)

18. Wow, here I am wishing I could justify buying a bongo (bongo stealth actually) and you are so dissatisfied with yours you want to modify it so drastically? I think maybe you should call or write EB and see if they will do the work for you. I mean thats the only way you can get there from here without the value of your bass just plummeting. I dont think the offer a maple fretboard bongo do they?
    On a slightly OT note, I just finshed an exchange with Carvin. I have wnated to get a bass bult by them since I was a teen. What a bunch of tools! They wont do a side by side headstock on a fiver and teh wont do a pickup switch instead of a pan pot. Sorry those are dealbreakers for me. It's not like there arent thousands of basses out there with traditinoal headstocks and 5 strings. The pickup switch is a little out there, but not unheard of. I do own a bass with a 3 way switch on it, stock.

19. EB doesn't do custom for Just anybody unless they are a known artist.

20. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    :bawl: