Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo: HH or HSC - what's the difference in sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neutrino, Sep 26, 2005.

1. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    Hey guys,

I think I'm going to be purchasing a Bongo this week and I'm currently torn. I can't decide whether to purchase a dual humbucker version or the single coil and humbucker version.

I was wondering for those that have played both could tell me which is better for what?

if you soundclips that would be awesome too!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I tried out both and went with the HH. The single coil on the HSC has a very pronounced, growly tone. It seemed like it had a slightly better slap tone, and certainly more room for popping, but I preferred the rounder tone of the HH for fingerstyle. The HSC got a bit thinner when the blend was rolled towards the single coil compared to the HH. The HH seemed a little more "even" to my ears. There was a noticeable difference between the two.

Here are some sound samples from my HH Bongo five-string:

Bongo groove
    The Earth Shakes

3. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    awesome! Thanks. Anyone else care to comment?

4. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    bryan,

what's that materal between the pickups of your bongo?

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's called a ramp. It aids in fingerstyle playing by keeping you fingers from digging in by giving an even and short distance betwwen the strings and where your fingers touch the ramp.

6. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    My bongo H/SC sounds like a cross between a Musiman and a Jazz bass, because, well, it is.

It's a growly bass--definite J-bass territory. Not as much meat as the HH.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Here are some samples recorded with my two humbuckers-piezo bridge 5-string Bongo. There's a very noticeable fret buzz because I did the recordings just after my bass arrived and it needed a setup. Please read the enclosed pdf file first.

Link:

http://s54.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1TX2DPLUVSFX12BWVBL4UEXQGP

8. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    where can you buy those ramps at? I'd like to read more about them.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You have to have them built for you by a luthier or a woodworker (or build it yourself if you're handy and own a miter saw and some radiusing blocks).

Do a search for "ramps" and you'll find plenty of info. I have them on all of my basses.

10. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    cool, anyone else got any first hand experience.