Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo Issue...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Call, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Okay, so I've had my Bongo for a few months now. I got it June, so I guess only about a month-and-a-half. I've only been running it direct until yesterday. Yesterday I got a new rig and have been playing it through that since then.

Here's the issue though: the preamp is just out of control! I have yet to tell if that's a good or a bad thing. I mean, I can't seem to find a medium between the preamp on the bass and on the head. I've set everything flat on the head, and have tried adjusting. I've turned everything all the way down on the head and tried adjusting. The bass is well... to bassy for me. Anyone have any good settings as far as the preamp goes on the bongo.

It's just SO FREAKING BASSY! With the bass knob at 50% and every preamp setting on the head at 0%, my house is shaking.

I mean, for only using it in a DI: it's the perfect bass and I can dial in sounds *snaps fingers* like that. I don't see why I'm having so much trouble now. I feel like an idiot. I just can't find a good sound anymore. HELP!

note: I could just be stupid.

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I know that many Talkbassers will give you great advice on your issue, but I highly recommend you to post your problem at the Ernie Ball bass guitars forum. Jongitarz is one of the best repair technicians at EBMM and he's also a forum moderator and active poster. I'm sure he will give you a prompt reply.

Hope this helps.

3. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you feel there is too much low end, why not just roll some off? One of the benefits of the Bongo is it's capabilities to shake the house, and if you don't want it, remove some low end with the tone controls. Or, if you have a2 pick up bongo, ute only the bridge PU.
    I don't think it'sa preamp issue, as the center clicks set all controls flat.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I agree about going to the ernieball forum.

I've a feeling your problem might also be coming from your amp. With so many options on the Bongo I can't really understand why you're having the problem you're having. If I use the bridge pickup only, drop the bass slightly below the mid point, and crank the lower mids and treble - I get a real barky jaco like sound that cuts bigtime but - with no bottom overload whasoever. With all the EQs set flat the Bongo doesn't seem to pump out any more bass than any other in it's class... hmmmm....

Perhaps the bass you had before this was real crappy and it's like you're making a transition from an old Ford to a Ferrari? Maybe ya just gotta get used to it and not crank it as much as whatever you used to play?