Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo/L2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Has anyone played both? Or even just one of them? I'm looking for not so much a gigging bass, but a recording/home bass... Versatility is a good thing. I play Punk(Blink-182), Rock/grunge(floyd, nirvana), funk/slap. I play pick and finger. So I basically play a lot of styles. I like the P sound better that the J.

How does the L2000/bongo compare? Sound and feel. I got to play a bongo for 20 mins... it felt silky, havnt found a G&L though but they look similar. So are similar?

Excuse my ignorance.

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I have a G&L L2000, and I absolutely love it. It has incredible tone, and you can get endless combinations of sound out of it. You can get warm round lows to dry mid/high punch and anywhere in between. The pickups have a sick amout of output, I play next to two mesa boogie half stacks and it cuts through w/ ease. Its built like a pbass, but mine has a thinner neck thats much more comfortable. Mine is an '82, and the new ones coming out are very high quality instruments for the money. I highly recommend it. W/ the right setup it plays like butter.

Dont know to much about the bongo...haven't played one, but they look pretty nice. Even though im not a huge fan, Music Man makes a good bass. The pre Ernie Ball one are supposedly better.

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    also the L-2000 is a 4 string, the L-2500 is the 5 string version. the only bongos i've seen were 5 stings...i'm not sure if it comes as a 4.

4. bongos most certainly do come as a 4!
    they have nice fat tones to them! I love'em, I kinda like thier shape too. I like the modernesque to'em

5. Man, you gotta try them both, both are great basses and well made. Personally I would go for the Bongo, because I love the shape.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Wow! It's nice to see a Bongo thread in which every poster loves its look. It would be even nicer if it remains like that and keeps free of those toilet seat and can opener comments and jokes.

7. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I do love both basses.
    G&L L-2000 is a real punchy bass and it has a huge variety of sounds.
    You've just got to take familiarity with the controls.
    The Bongo is as punchy as the L-2000 (perhaps a little bit more!) and it has an aggressive sound... eaven too aggressive for the warm and "calm" sounds...
    Maybe (at least here in Italy) the G&L is a little bit more overpriced than the Bongo (which is a little bit overpriced too...)...

8. Well I'm not going to beable to try the G&L anytime soon, we arent going down to the states for part of our trip. However there is a bongo in Calgary where I will be travelling through and stopping to play again. I never liked the musicman sound when i played the stingray at first. But here in Vancouver I got ahold of a Sterling and played it through an Ampeg 350 rig and it was absolutely unbelieveable. Awsome sound. I might ditch the idea of getting 2 basses(bongo/sub, because using a pick on a double humbucker is difficult for me) and just get a sterling, too bad it's only got one sound.