Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Söderberg, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    Ok, after about one year of searching both the web (comparing, reading reviews etc) and musicstores I´ve finally discovered the bass that I think I´m going to buy.

I´ve sold ALL of my bassgear to by me a new, great and allroundish bass that copes with ...well, the musicstyles I´m in to (progressiv rock, jazz, funk, fusion, RnB etc). I´ve been GASing for everything from a Sadowsky Metro 4-string to a Warwick Thumb 6 BO.

I need something with a fat tone and dual pickups (not just one like on my former Stingray).

Since I really like Ernieball-basses I have now discovered the BONGO! Can someone please tell me before I purchase this beautiful bass untested: Is the neck as chubby on the Bongo as on the Ray? I´m talking about a 4-stringer here. And yes, if I buy it I will get a desert gold one. I prefer the Sterling-feel (jazzier) over the ray

Peace!

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I actually never played a Ray but it was a very comfortable neck on the bongo I played and stellar tone! I'm pretty sure the neck profile was closer to a Sterling but it's a bit bigger.

3. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Its got a 'Ray style neck width, waaayy bigger feeling than my Sterling. YYMV

4. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I'm not an Ernie Ball owner and I do prefer a Jazz profile neck, so while those who own Bongos will certainly chime in with more authoritative points of view, here are my two cents. I used to own a Sterling for a brief time. I played a four sting Bongo in a music store and thought the neck was very comfy. Maybe it's because the neck is finished to match the body, I don't know, but it felt very sleek and easy to navigate to me. I've owned Warwicks which some have said have baseball bat necks and I owned a 70s Fender P bass which was pretty chunky, but this one had me thinking hard about buying it. The body is light and the design is pretty ergonomic, so I think you'd enjoy it. Hey, email EB and ask them for their opinion. They should know better than anyone.

5. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    Ok, well if the Ray is the P-bassneck and the Sterling is the Jazzneck then is the Bongo the...pjazz-neck?

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, I own a Stingray and had the chance to play a Bongo short time ago. I prefer the Bongo neck by far since it`s much
    easier to play.
    I find that with thicker neck profiles my left hand gets tired quicker. I realized I press my thumb too much.
    It`s obviously a problem with my left hand technique, but slimmer necks help a lot.

7. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    Hi and thank you all for the posts. I´m now officially plunging in to BONGOLAND! :hyper:

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    BONGOLIA!

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    It's a cross between a ray and a sterling neck, leaning about 70% sterling. Very comfortable.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I played a sterling for years and when i got my bongo took it straight from the store to a gig. That gig i noticed it was slightly larger than the sterling neck, but now all i play is the bongo. it's easier to play than any bass i've ever played. i can't even begin to tell you how happy i am with my new bongo. it is absolutely the greatest bass i've ever played in my life - and i've played lots and lots.

one thng i've never mentioned yet on any of the bongo threads here that i like about it is - with my other basses every now and then i'd play in a room where something just wasn't quite right and my bass would lose it's cut, or sustain or something. like my fingers had to work 2X as hard to pull off certain things I played. can't really explain the experience, but it would almost feel as though I'd forgotten how to play, or lost 5 years experience cuz the sound just wouldn't come out. anyhooo - with the exptra pickup and mid controls on the bongo it hasn't happened yet. it seems i'm able to dial in exactly what i need, in any situation and then some. this bass has made me fearless. :)

11. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    ...ordered the Bongo today!

Since I live in Sweden, it wasn´t cheap (about 2240 USD!)...or, well, it WAS kind of cheap in Swedish terms (15700 SEK).

4-stringed
    Desert gold

Yummy! :bassist: