Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ozbass, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hi All
    I'm probably going to order a Bongo..
    I want to use the bass for many styles.
    Checking out previous threads, it seems the H H combination seems to be most popular, although I was thinking of going down the Single Coil / Humbucker route?

Any thoughts and comments on the different config's and their sounds , tones and versatility??

2. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    the single H is just like the sterling...sound wise. If you are going to play different styles go with a HH combo. Thats' what i regrets.
  3. Dr Stankface

Dr Stankface Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you do alot of slap stuff, I think the HH would be an annoyance. I love the Ernie Ball basses (my StingRay 5, my personal favorite) but the HH Bongo gets in the way of pop stuff.
  4. Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Ok.....I suppose going with the single coil at the neck with humbucker at the bridge will give me a bit more room.

I'd be interested to know what "extra" the single coil at the neck would give in the way of tone.
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have an HH Bongo, and I use the H-neck pup quite a bit to get into the P-Bass neighborhood. If that's someplace you like to visit, the HH is the way to go...
  6. go here:

As far as slapping... I wouldn't worry about it... EVERYONE says they get used to it.

I've only had the oppertunity to play the HS, it was nice. However there seems to be overwhelming support for the HH so I dont know. The way I have heard it the HH has more kick I havnt heard about anything the HS has over the HH rather than less.... "kick" "balls" "aggression" pick your word... both great instruments though I am sure.
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Not true. The single coil is in the same place as the row of coils CLOSEST to the neck on the HH model, so it won't make a difference.
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

don't have a Bongo but have a Bongo pup and mounted it about Sterling position and ran it parallel HB. That pup didn't need any help. P tone all the way with an unique spin and very versatile. There's a review on it at Dimento's MM pup experiment. Will probaly split the coils or run it series next time I drop it back in.

But in my experience an HB pup split will not sound like the equivalent single coil by virtue of the difference in design. The single will be noticeably clearer and brighter (and probably noiseier) all else equal. I should add the variation of acoustic properties from one bass to the next bass within the same model run will vary the tone as much - so it's not really relavant if you have to have it shipped and it's not a local purchase you can play and compare before you buy.
  9. I recently tried a double bucker Bongo, and the sound was great. No problems slapping either.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've got an HH and have an HS on order that's suppost to ship out this wednesday. f I get it according to schedule I can give you an accurate review sometime next week. I also got the piezo coming in the new one becuase I hear really amazing things about it.

The slapping thing I got used to immediately - there's only a little room for popping but it's enough, and it's right where it should be. I can't imagine anyone complaining about the HH configuration as it gives you just about every tone you could imagine. Some people praise the single pickup one but if i were to have only one bongo, I know I'd cry daily if it didn't have that exrat pickup. I think I'd prefer a Stingray to the single Pickup Bongo. I already own a Sterling or I'd prefer that.

To sum it up: If you're going to order without checking them out I'd suggest going HH. I can't imagine anyone regretting that. If you have the extra bucks, I'd go for the piezo also.