Bongo Players (That's the Music Man Bongo, silly!) and Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Folmeister, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Bongo Players:
    Are you staying with the factory strings (EB/MM) and guages? I have a five-string that is fantastic, but wonder if the intonated nut will make a difference with, say, TIs?
  2. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US

I have DR High Beams on my Bongo 5 right now. I've used GHS boomers and Ernie Ball Medium Slinkys on it as well. The Ernie Ball strings I think are the best by far for this bass, and I'm definitely going to put them back on next string change.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've used both TI Powerbass and TI Superalloy strings on my Bongos, and they both work great. I've come to the conclusion that the Superalloys are the best nickel roundwounds ever made, so I'm sticking with those.

Bovinehost will be along shortly, I'm sure, to tell you how great the TI Jazz Flats sound on the Bongo. I won't know how they sound until I pick up my third Bongo next year. :ninja:

As for the intonated nut, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with getting the strings to intonate correctly with the TIs, and I didn't have any problem with the Labella Black Tapewounds I tried earlier this year, either. I can't think of any reason the intonated nut would be a factor with string choice since you can adjust the bridge.

I highly recommend the TIs with the Bongo. :hyper:
  4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    ...well not with the intonation, anyway :D
  5. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
  6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Well, yeah, there was that. ;)

dlloyd is referring to the fact that the piezo MM bridge really doesn't like the tapewound strings since the piezo elements use rely on the strings to complete ground. Otherwise, they will short out. I have since learned a trick to compensate for this, but I'm too happy with the sound of the Superalloys to change them out for the time being.
  7. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Well, I loves me some Jazz Flats, and I have them on two basses. They have their own sound when slapping, but since I don't really care for the popcorn popper thing, I don't really do it to often. :D