1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bongo SC/H 5 vs. SR5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was checking out gear at a GC this evening and I saw that Musicman basses were on sale. No, they weren't super low blowout prices, but they still good values. They had new Sterlings between $979-949 and SR5's between $1139-1039.

What caught my eye was a SC/H Bongo 5 for $1139. I have played H/H Bongos on several occassions and I was impressed but not won over. I suspected that I would like the SC/H Bongo better and I was right. The single coil brought out just right amount of crispness to yield great slap tones. The humbucker was true bridge position pickup like a Jazz pup and it definitely had that bridge pickup tone. The single coild soloed was capable of a decent P bass imitation once the treble was tamed.

I had my SR5, so I A/B'ed with the SC/H Bongo5. I was suprised that my SR5 was capable of doing a comparable P imitation. Maybe the fact my strings are a bit old helped.
    Slap wise, but basses sounded great, but my SR5 has that Stingray sound, the Bongo sounds like a versatile bass, but i really prefer the distinctiveness of the SR5. I can't blame anyone for getting a Bongo, they are great basses, easily better than many basses in the $2,000-5,000 range. The rub for me is that they sound like most any good, high end bass. I am a sucker for the uniqueness of the Stingray. What I defintely want is a single pup bongo

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I may have to go back to GC and check out that SC/H Bongo5 again. Can't afford another bass right now, but I do like the way that Bongo played. Although I want the single pup Bongo, the SC/H Bongo does have a great neo-Fender sound.

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've always been a passive Fender guy, but I've got an SC Bongo on loan than I must admit is very, very nice. I much prefer the single coil sound overall, but versatility of having the 'bucker is cool too. It's a pretty versatile machine.