Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo SC/H 5 vs. SR5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was checking out gear at a GC this evening and I saw that Musicman basses were on sale. No, they weren't super low blowout prices, but they still good values. They had new Sterlings between $979-949 and SR5's between $1139-1039.

What caught my eye was a SC/H Bongo 5 for $1139. I have played H/H Bongos on several occassions and I was impressed but not won over. I suspected that I would like the SC/H Bongo better and I was right. The single coil brought out just right amount of crispness to yield great slap tones. The humbucker was true bridge position pickup like a Jazz pup and it definitely had that bridge pickup tone. The single coild soloed was capable of a decent P bass imitation once the treble was tamed.

I had my SR5, so I A/B'ed with the SC/H Bongo5. I was suprised that my SR5 was capable of doing a comparable P imitation. Maybe the fact my strings are a bit old helped.
    Slap wise, but basses sounded great, but my SR5 has that Stingray sound, the Bongo sounds like a versatile bass, but i really prefer the distinctiveness of the SR5. I can't blame anyone for getting a Bongo, they are great basses, easily better than many basses in the $2,000-5,000 range. The rub for me is that they sound like most any good, high end bass. I am a sucker for the uniqueness of the Stingray. What I defintely want is a single pup bongo

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I may have to go back to GC and check out that SC/H Bongo5 again. Can't afford another bass right now, but I do like the way that Bongo played. Although I want the single pup Bongo, the SC/H Bongo does have a great neo-Fender sound.

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've always been a passive Fender guy, but I've got an SC Bongo on loan than I must admit is very, very nice. I much prefer the single coil sound overall, but versatility of having the 'bucker is cool too. It's a pretty versatile machine.