Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo w/ single coil

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brock29609, Mar 5, 2004.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I've been hearing all these great things about the Bongos with the double humbuckers, but what about this single coil "HS" model? Anyone played one? Anyone know how they compare with the single and double humbucker models? Is it a true single coil? If so, does it hum?

[​IMG]

2. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I really wanna know this too... Are their fretless bongos yet?

3. I played one of these at the NAMM show. Worst kind of Bongo. The damn single coil gets in the way of popping. Very bad.

4. I have a HH 4 string bongo, but have played a 5 string with the single. It didn't seem to have the same amount of punch as the doubel humbuckers. I play with the balance panned a bit on the front pickup, so thats why I might have noticed it some.

I also didnt get to play it for long, so it may be something that just needed to be adjusted with experience.

5. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The top bucker would get in the way of my picking, so that's why I'm curious about the single coil version. It has a nice wide open space between the pups. I figured since it has the same 4-band EQ it might be a winner. Guess I should try one before I take a $1150 plunge. Anyone else?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How can a single coil get in the way more than a double?