Bongo worth? Shot preamp???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Sep 11, 2005.

1. I have a 4 string MM Bongo the dual humbucker varient sitting at my house that a friend is letting me borrow in hopes that ill buy it from him.

Its got some issues.

The 3rd control knob (pickup changer one?) is completely broken off and the master volume is bent but still somewhat turnable. The neck is also developing a nice bow to it.

I believe the preamp needs to be replaced to get the knobs back in working order but have no idea what they cost anyone know?

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Did it get runover by the tour bus, or what? Why would a 1200 dollar bass be is such bad shape? I mean...the pots being all bent or broken off? That sounds like it got stepped on or runover!?! :eek:
  3. Its not in terrible shape but the guy defiantely dosnt care about keeping basses in good condition. It sucks and its such a nice bass. Hell the strings for example must be months old they dont even make very audible sounds even when plugged in its a crime i tell you a crime!

4. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Depends on how much your paying for it, deinfitley has some easy fxes but i wouldn't pay top dollar for a busted up bass.
  5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    First, take it to a reliable music shop in your area and make sure that the problem with the neck is fixable. If it's just bowing, some truss rod work and perhaps lighter gauge strings should really help. If it's warped or developing cracks in either the neck or the truss rod, it's well on its way to being worthless. I'd also contact Ernie Ball and see if they'd sell you a preamp direct, or if you could send in your bass and have them install it should the old preamp be shot or beyond repair. That's a great bass if the issues can be resolved, but I'd be sure you've got a solid path to salvaging that sucker first.
  6. strummer

Jul 27, 2005

The pot shafts on the Bongos aren't the thickest ones around, so I can see that happening. The pots are easily exchanged if you remove the whole preamp from the bass.