1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bongos, Gas, Computers & Recording

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just feel the need to blabber a bit in order to disassociate my name with Bongo basses....

After over a year of wining and wishing and saving, I believe a Bongo may not be anywhere in my near future. If fact, I am giving up the idea of owning one - at least for now. My reasons:

1. Current computer ancient, plus so virus plagued - I needed to replace it. savings, once again - gone.

2. Decided I really miss recording with my computer (bought a compact digital studio years ago that I never learned to use) and made an additional investment in a pro-audio card.

3. Been playing bongos a lot lately in stores and realized that my thumb isn't all that comfortable on the contoured pickups that I use as a thumb rest.

4. I'm starting to realize that the woman I've been woth for 8 yrs. may be the only one fer me, and those same feelings seem to be transferring themselves to my Sterling bass. :)

5. Got tired of getting yelled at here every time I make a purchase that isn't a Bongo. But I brought that sheet on myself.

That's all.

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Good reasons. I have a Sterling and it has a great combination of features, a very versatile instrument. Are you a SC or HB kind of guy?

Good birthday too.

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Please elaborate. Never heard of either of those.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Single coil, or humbucker. :D

5. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Even I knew that and I'm mentally deficient.

:smug:

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I gues I'm super mentally deficient then. I'm a HB kinda guy fer sure. Never went much for the SC stuff.

7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    id take a sterling or stingray over a bongo anyday. Ive played a ton of them and cant get used to the shape or feel, i also dont think their sound is as good as a sterling or stingray. Get yourself a nice fast processsor and an mbox and youll be in business.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've come to similar conclusions about buying a new bass (also gassing for a Bongo, but a Dean Rhapsody 8 and a Geddy Lee Jazz were more immediate in my future) with the exception of the whole possibly-getting-married thing, and then switching out number 3 for "A used 100 watt Yorkville that's ages old ain't gonna cut it". My computer is years old component wise and I'm itching for an upgrade. I can run Battlefield 1942 at high graphics settings, but that's only if I disable all sounds (which, I shouldn't need to tell a board of musicians, SUCKS)! :eek: Plus, I can't record on this anymore *sigh*. I'm gonna take my GeekWare (FireFox, mIRC, Winamp, PSP5, and Photoshop), mp3's, and images, back that up, do a clean sweep of the drive, and then reinstall the software on a clean drive and load it up with anti-spyware and anit-virus software. Toss in an additional hard drive (my 30gb isn't kicking it anymore), new sound card and whatnot for recording, and a new processor if I can swing it with the folks. But I'm mostly itching for another hard drive and a new soundcard -- which will also take care of my Battlefield problems.