Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bonnaroo Festival DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by watspan, Dec 30, 2002.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I picked up the Bonnaroo Festival DVD, mostly for the Gov't Mule track, and wound up really enjoying the different bands and bassists (or non-bassists!) Les Claypool plays in 2 different lineups--I really liked him w/ bernie worrell and Buckethead(damn that cat can rip it up--finger lickin' good) I was amazed at the funky tuba bass lines by the dirty dozen brass band; The robert Randolph band track has a slap-icidal maniac snappin that thing! Edgar Meyer on upright w/ bela fleck is quite incredible; lots of modulus basses and ampeg amps. anyone else like this dvd?

2. i have a recording of les claypool's bucket of bernie brains' et. cool stuff, very out there.:D

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    My guitarist's sister and brother-in-law went down and caught alot of the action there.. i was up at his house playing for a gig this past weekend and watched the DVD.. it was aweseome.. Trey anastasio was great also...

4. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I agree, very good DVD although I haven't made it through both discs yet. I wish I could have went to the festival.....:mad:

5. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    what a dynamite horn section! Bass player had a unique setup w/ his bass on a stand--looked like some kind of after-market p-bass type

6. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    especially when you see all the groovy hippie chicks on the dvd!! Nice beagle--howling at your playing?;)

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yes I agree completely.. The first Thing I noticed was that the bassist had at least 2 basses and they were all on stands.. he didn't use straps and he sat down... However The guy that was actually there told me they played for like 5 hours... So i could see why he would want to do that..

8. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Yup, that is Sidney & he is a Bassett Hound. He was a good boy and actually he is yawning in that picture although it looks like he is howling.

9. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Sorry for calling Sidney a beagle, I should of known on this forum that he'd be a "bass"ett;)

10. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    :D :D :D

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I really like the DVD, and I have the C.D. also.....and there is one group on the C.D. they didn't put on the DVD with a smokin' bassist....The John Butler Trio:(