Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bonnie Raitt's live bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassdr, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Anyone catch "Austin City Limits" tonight? It was Bonnie Raitt. Nice set and some killer bass work. I missed the credits. Anybody know who he is and what basses he was playing? They looked graphite but the logo didn't look Modulus or Zon.

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I have no idea if she had her regular player or not but if she did that was Hutch Hutcherson. Hutch is a monster,a great example of understated support. Im glad his name is coming up as I was going to start a thread in his honer anyway.

AJ

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Almost right, it's James "Hutch" Hutchinson, and I agree on the understated comment. He is one of my favourite bass players too, seems to keep a low profile but very nice supporting role. And some interesting bass lines too. I play my Bonnie Raitt albums quite a lot.

I've seen him with a number of basses, Modulus is one, he seems to switch basses for different songs/sounds.

4. Saw her live in August. Hutch has a solid groove but can be a wild man if the situation calls for it :D

5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    That WAS Hutch w/ Bonnie Raitt on PBS.
    He's phenomenal- He never plays a note that isn't needed, and keeps it right in the pocket-
    His fretless solo was news to me, and it sounded great.
    I give all props to that low-key, tight style!;)

6. I had heard OF him but never heard him. A great player. The fretless solo was great. The basses looked Modulus but the logo was weird. Anyway, thanks guys. I hope we hear more from this guy.

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Hutch is one of my favorite bassists. I play in a band with a female lead singer, and we cover quite a few Bonnie Raitt Tunes. (I really like her tunes that have a Reggae feel like Come to Me and Have a Heart).

I too saw Bonnie this past August, and IIRC, Hutch only used three basses (during the performance that I saw): Two 4-string Modulus J-type (not vintage/no control plate) basses (one fretted, one fretless), and a Semi-acoustic 5-string fretless.

My viewing of his performance on this recent tour has inspired me to take-up fretless!

8. Slater -

Did you see her at DTE with Lyle Lovett? I was at that show.

Speaking of Lyle, his bassist was a bit of a wild man too - and did the whole show on URB :D

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    allan,

Yep, that was the show.

Also, I agree, Lyle's bassist, Viktor Krauss, is a hell-of-a player!

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Check out Bonnie's "Road Tested" album for some great live Hutch. Totally dig his grooves on "A thing called love" and "Love letter".