Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bonnin in the boneyard tech?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RealBK, Jul 23, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, Does Fishbone's "Bonnin in the Boneyard" use double thumping or something? It's near impossible to get it just right!!! Anyone post a vid sample or sound sample on how to play it?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I had a quick listen, and it's "normal" slapping- not too fast either.
    I recommend getting some software like Musician's CD Player or Slowgold to slow it down without changing the pitch. That way it's easier to figure out.

The whole thing is mixed a little weird- at least at the beginning, sometimes the bass really stands out and then it's totally buried a few seconds later.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    He does tripplets in the solo section.
    I'm not sure if it is double thumbing. I do it by popping the same string with my middle finger and index finger in close succession.

I don't use tabs, but the main riff is not all that complicated. I do it with nomal slapping, but there is some open string damping that you have to be sure to throw in.

It's not advanced technique, but you have to be pretty well schooled at slapping.